ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam HarrisonPremiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 6:55:00 pm

I have constantly been having problems with Premiere crashing over the past five days with a project that I came back to working on. The patterns are inconsistent, particularly in time increments- sometimes it crashes right when it opens, sometimes I'll be working for ten to thirty minutes and then it will crash, sometimes it will crash once I have opened the project and am doing something in the timeline. Most recently, it's just been crashing on startup.

I was *fairly* certain that it was only happening when one particular source clip was in the sequence that I would be working on. For the most part, I *believe* that any other sequences without that clip don't have the same problem from testing them, but it is so hard to keep track of because it takes various different amounts of time for the program to crash each time it does, with no apparent correlation to anything.
At one point, when I tried to play one of those sequences from beginning to end to diagnose the problem, Premiere would always crash right before it got to a segment comprised entirely of the source clip that I thought was causing the problem. Going by that logic, I later made that clip offline, removed all instances of the clip in the sequence, even though it already was offline, and tried to edit the rest of the sequence, but it still crashed. I also tried moving the location of that source clip and relinking it from there with the same result.

Other things I have tried, unsuccessfully:
- Importing sequences into a new project
- Opening previously saved versions of this project from before this problem started happening
- Deleting preview files
- Trashed preferences on startup (Shift + Option)
- Cleaning media cache
- Deleting media cache folder
- Tried with both mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration and Software Only
- Uninstalled the only recent program I can remember installing on my computer within the past two weeks (Soundflower)
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere

---------

Source Footage: Apple Intermediate Codec, Linear PCM, Timecode; .mov containers
Error messages: Sometimes general ("Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 quit unexpectedly."); Other times "Sorry, a serious error has occurred."
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
External hard drives: LaCie Rugged Triple USB 3.0 (2 drives, 1TB each.)

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.
by on Sep 2, 2016 at 1:48:10 pm

Uninstall any and all third-party plugins and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Sam HarrisonRe: Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.
by on Sep 3, 2016 at 12:33:26 pm

Don't have any installed to begin with. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.
by on Sep 3, 2016 at 12:49:15 pm

What is the source of this "Apple Intermedia Codec" videos? If they aren't from a project from a long time ago, why was this codec used?

Return to posts index

Sam HarrisonRe: Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 constantly crashing, trouble diagnosing problem.
by on Sep 3, 2016 at 4:48:18 pm

You're going to have to forgive me for not noticing or knowing really obvious things that I should have when I started the project- I'm really a novice and still learning.

The woman who filmed everything used a Sony NXCAM. There was a lot of footage, some of which she put on a hard drive and then gave to me, and the rest of which she gave to me on SD cards that I think came directly from the camera, which I transferred onto another hard drive. I have been using both hard drives while editing.

I just looked through each of those drives in the Finder. The footage that came directly from the camera SD cards is in AVCHD.

But the footage that had already been put on a hard drive for me used the Apple Intermediate Codec, and from the file structures, they look like they were used in iMovie before they were given to me.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2016 at 12:22:48 am

[Sam Harrison] "But the footage that had already been put on a hard drive for me used the Apple Intermediate Codec, and from the file structures, they look like they were used in iMovie before they were given to me."

There might be something wrong with these files, so I would remove them from the project and see if that improves your stability. If so, you'll need to transcode them to something else.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2016 at 7:20:25 pm

I tried this today and am still experiencing the crashing. However, I actually worked in this same project, which included that same AIC codec footage, starting in March, until I completed a video for a May deadline, and was never experiencing this issue, even when using that footage. So I know that the videos with that codec were not causing issues for a 2 month period. I should have included all of this earlier. It's all very long-winded, though, and I'm sorry for throwing details all over the place.

Since then, I was given even more footage from the same "client" to create additional videos, which I imported into the same project. I originally already had dozens of hours of footage, which took up most of an entire 1TB external drive. I put all of the new footage on an additional hard drive, editing with both. Since I had no close deadlines, I came back to the project every now and again to sort through and mark/pull selects from the new footage, still experiencing no noticeable problems that I can remember. Again, all footage is AVCHD except for those files with the AIC codec.

Roughly two weeks ago, I started going back to the sequence for the original video I completed in May to make some changes to it. I think that's when I started having problems with the program crashing, but it's hard to pinpoint because the time increments in which it happens keep varying.

I save new copies of my project files every day that I work on them. ("YYMMDD_Project Name.prproj") So I went back to older versions of this same project from *before* I imported the new footage into it, which I saved back in May, and Premiere still crashes when they are opened. However, I have not *yet* experienced this problem while working in a different project.

Basically, the time that it takes to crash just gets shorter and shorter throughout the day. I will open this project for the first time each day that I try working on it, will edit or look for the problem for around half an hour, and then Premiere will crash, almost always when I am in the timeline- whether playing a sequence, moving a clip, or just clicking the panel. Then, I do the same thing maybe twice more, and those times Premiere crashes five to ten minutes within being in the program. Then, it gets to a point when it just crashes when opening. But then, the next day I will open the project, and it will work for thirty minutes again, crash, and then the same pattern of the increments getting shorter and shorter throughout the day will repeat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]