ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting an MP4 with 4 audio channels from Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew SinerExporting an MP4 with 4 audio channels from Premiere
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:35:58 pm

I am trying to find a way to attach a 4 channel audio format to an MP4. Working on a 360 project with spatialized audio (delivers as a 4 channel audio file). The company handling delivery says that they need an MP4 to load in their system.

In the past I have exported mov's with uncompressed audio to export 4 channels in the proper order, it's beginning to look like Premiere can't do this with MP4's...can anyone confirm?

Anyone have any workarounds or suggestions?

Handbrake, Subler, FCP7, FCPX, QT7 and MPEG Streamclip have all failed me. From what I've heard ffmpeg can do this with quicktime files but not mp4's as well.

Return to posts index

Will DuncanRe: Exporting an MP4 with 4 audio channels from Premiere
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:45:05 pm

.mp4 is a wrapper / container and not an actual video format.

Which codec are you using when you export?

Audio channel limitations are based on the codec. Most of the time people cook mp4's it's for a preset h264 which comes out as a .mp4 or .mov depending on the preset. Most of which are stripped down to a Stereo Pairs I believe.

Return to posts index

Drew SinerRe: Exporting an MP4 with 4 audio channels from Premiere
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 9:00:56 pm

I'm referring to the actual Premiere encoding process....using the h.264 format to spit out an mp4, so h264

Return to posts index

Will DuncanRe: Exporting an MP4 with 4 audio channels from Premiere
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 9:42:56 pm

h264 w/ .mp4 in Premiere is limited to a mono, stereo or 5.1 conversion. If you set the export to Format: Quicktime, then the Preset to Custom, then in the video Tab select H.264, the Audio tab will now have channel mapping options.

The output will be an .mov for that file though. You SHOULD just be able to change the extension to .mp4 after export. At least I've seen a ton of people do that who use Premiere.

With ffmpeg from Terminal you just tell it to copy file.mov and output file.mp4, takes like .05 seconds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]