ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Performance issues with editing suite

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig KennedyPerformance issues with editing suite
by on Aug 30, 2016 at 7:00:12 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, really appreciated!

I work in video, and more often than not we are editing compressed 4K footage, shot with either the DJI Phantom, or the GH4.
Our problem is that we don't get a good enough performance whilst editing; it is incredibly laggy, meaning we edit at 1/4 resolution - still laggy! Very choppy playback, and it is very slow to render.

Our current equipment:
OS X El Capitan
Processor: 3.4GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB

Recently we purchased, and have been editing off of the PNY 240GB SSD.

Where are we going wrong? What do we need, and how should we be using this equipment if it appears we are using it wrong?

Attached is an image of our Speed Test Results.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Performance issues with editing suite
by on Aug 30, 2016 at 9:16:14 pm

Gee, I don't see 4K listed there..... and none of those codecs are nearly as processor-intensive as the stuff you're shooting.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Performance issues with editing suite
by on Aug 30, 2016 at 10:58:34 pm

Uh...those numbers really suck. This is my SSD:

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2016 at 11:00:52 pm

Look at your picture...the speed you are getting from that drive is only good enough for NTSC and PAL...standard definition. ALL the HD options are out. So yes, the SSD is a problem. PLUS, you might need more hardware than what you have to edit compressed 4K...H.264 4K. A card that enables CUDA at least. Those specs you listed, what computer are they for?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Performance issues with editing suite
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:40:54 am

Yeah, I don't know what's going on but those are horrible numbers for an SSD. Even if your SSD speeds were closer to Shane's you still probably be getting good performance if you are using the native 4K files from the GH4. Even on a mid-range new Mac Pro whenever I get 4K footage from a GH4 or DVX200 it is super choppy in terms of playback.

My suggestions are to transcode into ProRes (assuming you aren't already doing that) and to trouble shoot why your SSD speeds are like 1/10th of what they should be.

Return to posts index

Craig KennedyRe: Performance issues with editing suite
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:40:54 pm

Thanks Shane,

Yes, I can see that the speed results are horrible, which is why I'm looking for help - to improve them. The Specs I listed are for my iMac Mid 2011 :

I'm hoping that the issue is the iMac 2011 only has USB 2.0, and the SSD external enclosure I'm using is USB 3.0. I'm going out to buy a thunderbolt SSD today, which should help (I hope)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2016 at 1:21:15 pm

Ah...yes. USB2 is the issue. That is VERY slow. USB3 is much faster, but your machine doesn't have it, huh? My SSD test was on a drive directly inside my computer. Thunderbolt would be good too...that'll be a BIG help. 4K H.264 on USB2...oy!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]