ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick hopmanedit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 28, 2016 at 12:23:23 am

With Premiere Pro CS6 how can I edit captured .dv files (AVI DV Type 2) adding titles etc. and export and view lossless on an iPad? This would include rendering crisp titles rather than titles with aliased edges which you see with codec conversions. It would be ideal to have some compression, but visual fidelity is most important.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35:35 am

[nick hopman] "With Premiere Pro CS6 how can I edit captured .dv files (AVI DV Type 2) adding titles etc. and export and view lossless on an iPad? "

Have you tried exporting an MP4?

Return to posts index

nick hopmanRe: edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 1:46:36 am

Yes and there is the loss of video fidelity as well as fuzzy titles. I know M-JPEG/DV is a lossy codec, but it's my source.

ANY conversion will look worse than the original - that I expect. What puzzles me is that the iPad can render M-JPEG - but not sure which container format. I'm wondering if I should just export to H.264/5 High Profile and go back and edit in titles/transitions and export again to H.264/5. This may yield the best result.

I can try this workflow, but it seems like many people have solved this problem in the past with old camcorder video production, so I was hoping that an optimal workflow had been already well established.

Maybe this situation is not talked about much since MPEG2/MPEG4 camcorders have been around for many years.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:59:20 am

What sort of timeline are you editing and exporting to?

I'd go with an 852 x 480 square pixel timeline for an h.264 file, don't compress that much on output, and experiment with titling schemes to maximize contrast, which will increase apparent sharpness. Exporting and then titling and re-outputting may lead to concatenation artifacts in the final file.

Worth a try, anyway.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:31:46 am

My sequence settings are 720x540 with a pixel aspect of 1.0 as determined by my source material.

By concatenation are you saying that the video content will be further deteriorated by recoding a 2nd time? If so, that makes sense. I haven't worked on optimizing titling yet - just wanted to start with a known workflow for SDV content.

I probably had the wrong aspect of my export so I'll re-look at that.

I can play around and turn all of the knobs, but I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a standard workflow many people have figured out years ago when producing content based on a plethora of SDV content rendered on modern devices.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 1:36:46 pm

Keep in mind the iPad screen has a higher rez than your SD video. If you are viewing full screen on the iPad, that would account for the apparent lower quality as the video is blown up.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:10:37 pm

Great point. I'm using an older iPad - so not the retina display. Display ppi is 132. My iPad mini is 163 ppi. The comparison I'm using first is my 1080p 72 ppi monitor - where I can scale the viewing window.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: edit .dv content and view lossless on iPad
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:04:15 pm

Yes on the concatenation. Artifacts build up with recompression.

As for the aspect, 720 x 480 DV widescreen does not have square pixels. It's 1.2(something) per Adobe. To get a good SD wide as an MP4 the 852 x 480 w/square pixels is (a) what you want, and (b) as mentioned above, a lower resolution than your iPad screen.

That is where the apparent softness originates.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:14:20 pm

When I rendered at 960x480 AVC the titles came out without aliasing. I think the video fidelity is also better - but I have to look more critically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]