ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ThompsonAVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:27:00 pm

I have AVCHD 29.97 1080p footage from a Phantom 3 Pro Quadcopter. I used MPEG Stream Clip and After Effects CC 2015 to transcode clips to edit with in Premiere. I thought the clips looked brighter once in Premiere so I imported an original AVCHD clip and compared the two. The DNxHD clip is brighter; it's blown out a little bit. I also tried DNxHR. It looks the same as the DNxHD.
Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search but didn't really see anything.
Thanks

P.S. I'm on Windows 10.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 9:21:13 pm

I want to ask first - why not Media Encoder for your transcode, skipping the two-step?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 10:49:40 pm

I agree with Jon. Transcoding with MPEG Streamclip is NOT color managed to the best of my knowledge. And, I can't imagine why you'd use After Effects for transcoding, though in theory it should do the job.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob ThompsonRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 3:47:25 pm

Stream Clip will batch and process 4 at a time. Regardless I agree Media Encoder would be the best choice. I used AE on one clip to test.

I figured out that I needed to check "RGB" rather than "Rec 709" in the codec settings. The resulting transcode matches the original AVCHD color... Now if I can get the slight strobing out of the DNxHD transcodes I'll be good to go. It looks like its interlaced but it's 1080p footage. Anyone have any ideas regarding that?

Thank you for the replies by the way.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 28, 2016 at 2:07:15 am

Interlaced and strobing are two different things. Is it strobing or does it look interlaced?

Return to posts index

Bob ThompsonRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 28, 2016 at 8:23:16 pm

It's hard to explain. It's consistently inconsistent but the footage will play normal for about 3 seconds then look slightly strobed for a second then normal for around 3 seconds the strobed for a second. The average person on the street may not even notice it but it's there.
I'll try to figure it out. I've only seen one other post that addressed this. That guy said he gave up trying to fix it.
I may have an incorrect setting but I don't know what it would be. Pretty simple, DNxHD 1080p 29.97...
Thanks for the replies.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: AVCHD to DNxHD or DNxHR Color Shift in Premiere CC 2015?
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35:05 am

It would help to see exactly what this "strobing" looks like, as there is an inherit issue with GoPro aerial footage that can cause a kind of flicker-like phenomenon that may be described as "strobing" by different people.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]