ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Editing audio clips in timeline and source monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert WithersEditing audio clips in timeline and source monitor
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:48:51 pm
Last Edited By Robert Withers on Aug 27, 2016 at 2:00:24 pm

Hi all,
This is probably a simple procedure, but I'm wading through a lot of searches trying to find it. I'm using Pr CC 7.2.2
I had a long VO clip that I edited using ins and outs and saved as many separate subclips each with their own name and text cue.
When I bring these into the timeline they look OK with waveforms and sound OK.
When I double-click from the PROJECT MANAGER they appear in the SOURCE MONITOR, I can see the waveforms and edit the clip further and save/rename.
When I double click from one of these clips in the TIMELINE something with waveforms appears in the SOURCE MONITOR; it seems like the entire source clip is what plays; I can't figure out how to scroll to the selected section and cut/edit.
I can hugely blow up/magnify the TIMELINE to show waveforms and cut on that basis but can't figure how to do it in the SOURCE MONITOR.
Seems like it should be easy to trim these in the SOURCE MONITOR from the TIMELINE but can't see the selected portion.
Thanks if you can follow this convoluted description.
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: Editing audio clips in timeline and source monitor
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:05:02 pm

In case anyone else is interested, here's the response someone offered on another forum:
"Double clicking an item in the Project Panel simply opens it in the Source Monitor for preview. Same as when you match frame (F) a clip from the timeline. By contrast, double clicking an item in a timeline opens it in the Source Monitor and creates a dynamic link to the timeline - if you now change In/Out points in the Source Monitor, they will update in the timeline. The frame your playhead was over when you double clicked on the clip will be the frame the clip starts from when it's in the Source Monitor (if your playhead wasn't over the clip at the time then the start frame will be the one you double clicked on)."

That makes sense--I'll have explore when I check in to the project. I think I've been double clicking without the playhead positioned on the clip in the timeline. So I've been getting the entire "master clip" and not the edited portion. Also sounds like I need to do the trimming I want on the timeline, since changing Ins/Outs in the Source Monitor will redefine the subclip, not just edit the timeline instance.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]