ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley DavisLoss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:14:11 am

I'm working on footage shot on a Canon 7D in Premiere Pro. I find when I push the grade, there's a significant loss in quality. I don't believe I'm pushing anything too much in post, just lots of small tweaks like shadows/highlights, contrast, curves etc (I make a point to never push very far with anything) but I'm still noticing a loss in quality after exporting in the 'Match Source - High Bitrate' preset.

Is there anything I can do to keep the quality high? transcode the footage or export in different settings? or should I avoid certain tweaks when grading?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:28:16 am

[Ashley Davis] " I find when I push the grade, there's a significant loss in quality"

That happens when you have compressed h264 8 bit footage. Make sure your footage is lit properly and don't push it too much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 5:31:55 pm

The image quality of that camera in terms of pixels & colors is just good enough to fool the human eye but not a computer. You can't mess much with color correction at all. When you do, the image quality goes south. If you like to color correct, you'll need a camera that creates better files than crummy H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:19:36 pm

here's one thing to try: enable the HDR tick box if you're using lumetri panel.

sometimes it blows out stuff and enabling HDR will get you some more range without a blowout.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:30:38 pm

Converting to ProRes or DNxHD...10-bit codecs...will allow you to push things a little more, as you now are in a 10-bit space, and not 8 bit (even though the footage still is 8-bit) You can push things a LITTLE more. But no, H.264 doesn't lend itself to drastic color grading.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 7:05:22 pm

Friends don't let friends shoot to H264 footage :)

Good tips on lighting. I've had to use Canon footage with my RED and thankfully they were all day shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]