ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:14:11 am

I'm working on footage shot on a Canon 7D in Premiere Pro. I find when I push the grade, there's a significant loss in quality. I don't believe I'm pushing anything too much in post, just lots of small tweaks like shadows/highlights, contrast, curves etc (I make a point to never push very far with anything) but I'm still noticing a loss in quality after exporting in the 'Match Source - High Bitrate' preset.

Is there anything I can do to keep the quality high? transcode the footage or export in different settings? or should I avoid certain tweaks when grading?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Loss in quality when colour correcting/ grading footage
on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:28:16 am

[Ashley Davis] " I find when I push the grade, there's a significant loss in quality"

That happens when you have compressed h264 8 bit footage. Make sure your footage is lit properly and don't push it too much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 26, 2016 at 5:31:55 pm

The image quality of that camera in terms of pixels & colors is just good enough to fool the human eye but not a computer. You can't mess much with color correction at all. When you do, the image quality goes south. If you like to color correct, you'll need a camera that creates better files than crummy H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:19:36 pm

here's one thing to try: enable the HDR tick box if you're using lumetri panel.

sometimes it blows out stuff and enabling HDR will get you some more range without a blowout.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:30:38 pm

Converting to ProRes or DNxHD...10-bit codecs...will allow you to push things a little more, as you now are in a 10-bit space, and not 8 bit (even though the footage still is 8-bit) You can push things a LITTLE more. But no, H.264 doesn't lend itself to drastic color grading.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 26, 2016 at 7:05:22 pm

Friends don't let friends shoot to H264 footage :)

Good tips on lighting. I've had to use Canon footage with my RED and thankfully they were all day shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]