ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenChange "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:14:23 am

Just curious, no matter which method I use it doesn't seem to affect anything, but when I drop a 4K file onto the timeline the sequence defaults to "Red Cinema" editing mode (3840 x 2160). If I want to down convert 4K to 1080p should I change the editing mode to, say, DSLR, or should I manually change the "Frame Size" to 1920 x 1080p?

Does it matter?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:26:22 am

Well either you edit in 4K (if your system is up for it) and export it in HD or you make your sequence in HD and scale your 4K stuff down to fit it. If you're not exporting in 4K then there's probably no need to work in 4K.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 1:43:50 pm

Hey Tero, that's what I'm asking basically. Does "editing mode" affect the performance of Premiere Pro in any way? All the choices seem to do is preset the frame size, maybe the audio parameters, etc. but doesn't seem to affect performance. As I said, I can go in and change the frame size manually if I want and leave it in "Red Cinema" editing mode. I'm guessing guys like you set up their sequence parameters beforehand, whereas I, being an amateur, will drag a clip onto a timeline, and if I decide I want to export the 4K clips as 1080p, I can just go in and change sequence settings without changing editing mode. I don't have to worry about other people who may be working on the same project.

Does that sound about right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:53:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:55:51 pm

If your system has a tough time playing back a couple-three streams of 1920x1080 video, it'll DEFINITELY have a tough time with 4K. Even if it's in an HD timeline. The footage would remain 4K, and you'd be trying to push a little over 3.5 times more pixels through the same electronic spigot than you would if it were normal HD footage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:24:27 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Does "editing mode" affect the performance of Premiere Pro in any way?"

From the manual:

"Editing Mode determines the following:

-The video format used for preview files and playback
-The timebases available
-The compression methods which appear in the Video Settings panel
-The display formats available.

Choose an Editing Mode option that best matches the specifications of your target format, preview display, or capture card."

So, no. Unless Premiere guesses your source file wrong and it needs to do some extra math to figure stuff out (eg. wrong field order, wrong pixel aspect ratio). The resolution will affect performance. Especially if one is working with RAW files as they are debayered to the timeline resolution.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Change "Editing Mode" or "Frame Size"?
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:20:20 pm

Now that's everything I wanted to know. Thanks, guys. You may get tired of hearing it but I don't get tired of saying. Youse guys are the guys what is the guys ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]