ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best practices for working with proxies and offsite editors

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul LeavittBest practices for working with proxies and offsite editors
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 4:47:38 am

Hey all! So, I'm taking the leap and outsourcing some of my basic editing to a guy down in Phoenix that I've worked on-set with in the past. However, I've never even worked on Premiere Pro projects on multiple computers before, much less multiple users on different platforms (he's on a Windows, I'm a Mac guy) in different states. So I don't know what a good workflow solution would be. Here's what I have kind of as a test.

Create proxie/low res versions of all video clips to be delivered to offsite editor, and place in Google drive folder.
Link to said proxies in google drive in Premiere Pro, so that I can switch back and forth.
Create PPro project in same folder as proxies on Gdrive, create sequence, add all clips to sequence.

On the editors side, he has Gdrive, so all of the files show up on his computer automatically as a folder.

He would open the project, and theoretically all the files should be linked already. If not, he links them all to the proxies in the Gdrive folder.
Editor edits like a boss!
PPro project's location is never touched, stays in gDrive folder.

After the editor is done, everything's synced, and on my end:

Open my original PPro project file.
Import sequence from edited PPro project on gDrive.

Now, shouldn't Premiere at this point recognize that the files referenced in this newly imported sequence already exist in my original project? It currently creates a new bin and duplicates the structure in the gDrive project. Not a huge problem, but messy.

How's this look guys? I don't have to do any back and forth with the editor. I'll send it too him, he'll edit, and then I'll get it back.

Thanks so much!

Also, if there are any good resources on this type of workflow that you could point me towards, I'd be most appreciative!

Paul

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Best practices for working with proxies and offsite editors
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 1:39:47 pm

Hi Paul,

How are you handling the reimporting?

My understanding is that to avoid media duplication at the very least....

re-import of the sequence should happen through the media browser.

if you are doing this and still see media duplication....read on...

What kind of media container are your proxies? .mov might be a good choice because .mov's allow metadata to be added to the file....

this is important in the initial creation stage of the proxy media....

here's why...

in prefs BEFORE you make the proxies go to the media tab and enable "Write XMP ID to files on import"

in this was PPro SHOULD add a unique ID to the proxy media....

if PPro see that unique ID on subsequent reimports.... IT SHOULD allow it to connect to your existing assets without creating dupe assets...

see if this works for you....and let us know!

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Paul LeavittRe: Best practices for working with proxies and offsite editors
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 2:37:10 am

Ohhh oh oh oh ! "Write XMP ID to files on import" sounds like it might be my fix! I'll try that and see if it doesn't solve my problem!

And I'd been importing the sequence via just the import dialog, but it sounds like using the Media browser might be the more correct way to go about it. I'll do some more experimenting tonight. Thanks so much Alex!
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]