ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Delay when switching back to Premiere from another program

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael KlaumannDelay when switching back to Premiere from another program
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:07:43 pm

If I switch away from Premiere to any other program and then switch back to Premiere there is about a 10 second delay (with spinning beach ball) before I can use Premiere. When I updated to 2015.3 the problem went away for a day or so but now is back. I've also just installed a new SSD drive and installed OS X and Premiere fresh from scratch and it's still doing it.

Here's my system:
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 2 X 2.4 GHZ 6-Core Intel Xeon
OS 10.11.6
40 GB RAM
1TB PCI SSD drive
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB (I'll be upgrading this to the GTX Titan X (flashed for Mac) in a few days)
4 way RAID 0 - 16TB - Internal
USB 3 drives attached to 3rd party USB 3 PCI card
Blackmagic Decklink 4K Extreme with latest drivers

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Delay when switching back to Premiere from another program
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:24:16 pm

There are a few things that can cause the issue you're reporting.

1) turn off ALL energy saving features in System Preferences - you may be experiencing some drives or monitors going to sleep and waking up. (***all NLE manufacturers recommend disabling energy saving features).

2) your Decklink card may be handing off control of your apps slightly differently than before because of changes to the drivers. I had horrible issues with my Decklink card, and I was advised to uninstall the latest drivers and to roll all the way back to version 10.6 (not 10.6.1), which has been working quite nicely for me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Delay when switching back to Premiere from another program
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 11:30:03 am

Hi...

How is your Memory allocated in Prefs?

Sometimes not allocating enough to the OS causes a pretty big DISK CACHE SWAP when switching in and out of PPro?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Delay when switching back to Premiere from another program
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:45:34 pm

Have you disabled App Nap for your Adobe applications you have open? For Adobe apps like Premiere, After Effects, Audition & Media Encoder, get info on each application icon and check the box "Prevent App Nap. Also depending on your current OS you are running, go to the energy settings in System Preferences and uncheck "Enable Power Nap". You can also disable this system wide through a terminal command as well. Just google How to Disable App Nap completely.

As others have mentioned, make sure you have enough ram allocated to Premiere in the Preference Memory tab. Also make sure your USB 3.0 card is approved for your OS and Mac Tower. I've seen older versions of the USB 3.0 cards cause sleeping issues with external drives and Premiere beach balls while the drives come back up.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]