ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug O'Connorpremiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 5:36:26 pm

Please forgive what is probably a newbie question- it is only because I am a newbie.
I have a project on an iMac quad core-running 10.10.5. I have a lot of sequences made of 2 camera group clips. They now will only load into the source monitor, not the program monitor. I am assuming it is something simple, but I just can't find it. The program is also refusing to create new bins. Is this a glitch, or am I missing something?
I appreciate any help you can offer. To force myself to learn this program, I opted to cut under deadline- not smart...
but certainly motivates learning. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:09:16 pm

If you don't have clips in the timeline, you won't see anything in the program viewer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Doug O'ConnorRe: premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:19:33 pm

Thanks Dave,
The issue is, when I load a sequence, it loads to the source window rather than the program window, while
the timeline displays the sequence.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:19:56 pm

Hey Doug...

I assume this means you want to use these in sequence clips in a sequence (next or multicam)

So you'd have to create the sequence and have it open first....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:30:40 pm

Thanks Alex,

Either I am missing something obvious, or the system is being glitchy. I am a seasoned Avid editor,
but I just can't find where I can control where the sequence loads. I am just double clicking on the sequence, which is
in a bin, to load it. I have spent significant time with tutorials. and should mention I am quite technical.

I have already created the sequences, I have been working with them in the program monitor already. I have been able to cut them as multi-cam. But now, for reasons I can not figure out, they will not load into program monitor, only the source monitor- but they still show the sequence clips in the timeline-
Some sequences will still load into the program monitor and some wont-Again- these are not clips but edited sequences

I am assuming this may be obvious to the veteran Premiere user-
but I can't seem to find te trick-
I really appreciate the assist.

Doug

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:51:22 pm

I can respond to the bin problem. Yes, sometimes you can click on the new bin button and nothing happens, or it will highlight the name of an already existing bin. Although it's working fine for me now (for the time being!) I found that when PPro won't create a new bin it's because you have an equal number of assets in the project panel so there's no blank space. In other words, if you have 2 bins, import a graphic or clip or something so that you have another row with the clip and a blank space. Then you'll be able to create another bin.

Absolute stupidity on the part of Adobe, but, what ya gonna do. It should be a simple fix but they didn't fix it in the latest update.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 1:11:43 pm

Thanks Duke,

As an avid editor for many years, everyone says Adobe is easy to learn, which it is- in basic terms,
but I think it is going to take a long time to come close to mastering.
Do you have any ideas on the Source monitor vs Program monitor issue?
Why will some sequences only load into Source-Again- I think it has something to do with my approach- but I can't seem to figure it out- I had assumed, as with Avid, the default for a sequence is to load into program monitor, but I would have the option to load into source as well- I can't seem to figure out how this can be accomplished- and sequences more often than not are defaulting to source.

Doug

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 2:36:21 pm

It IS easy to learn. I'm a complete amateur, I'm not in the business, I just make little comedy videos for myself. What you're dealing with are bugs, not the normal way of doing things in PPro.

For me, if I want to load a video or audio track into the source monitor I double click it in the project panel. If I want to load it straight to the program monitor I drag it to the timeline. No right clicking necessary. I only right click to create a new sequence from whatever asset I'm clicking on. If you're having a problem doing that then once again, it's one of those individual problems that doesn't happen to everybody. If I post about a bug and no one responds I know it's because they're not experiencing it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 2:42:53 pm

Thanks Duke,

I agree. I believe I must be experiencing bugs.
It makes it a bit challenging to learn, as I don't yet know enough to realize when that is actually the case.
I appreciate your insight.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 8:48:54 pm

Hi Doug...

I'm not on the latest....

so maybe there's now some sort of pref related to this...

but what happens when you right click a sequence in the project panel?

do you still have the option to either "open in Source monitor" and "Open in timeline"?

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 1:16:39 pm

Thanks Alex,

When I right click on a sequence, the only option is to load into Source- But if I simply click on the sequence, it also loads into source. It seems something is wrong- but again, I cant seem to find it. Maybe I am too stuck in an Avid mindset to see it?

Return to posts index

Alan SaundersRe: premiere cc sequence only loads into Source monitor
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 3:42:36 pm

Is this still happening? Could you post a screen grab of your right click menu that also includes the icon of the sequence you're having trouble with?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 4:20:55 pm

No....something is definitely off...

I double click sequences to open them as timelines all day every day....

Any chance any of this is done via Media Browser Panel and looking at sequences in other projects?

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2016 at 11:25:56 pm

Alex,

I was just going to update this post. That was exactly it. I was working out of the media browser rather than the project bin.
Though I am still not clear why that project bin was not opening- but now it is and all is much easier! One might think it obvious, but not after decades on an avid! Finally, I feel like I can just edit.
Many thanks for sticking with the problem!

Doug
Z Post NYC

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:00:58 am

Next time you run Premiere Pro, if the project panel doesn't open, open it and then save the workspace so you don't have to continually open the project panel manually.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2016 at 1:28:46 pm

Glad to help Doug!!

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>