ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can't move clips or add effects in sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bridget BrownCan't move clips or add effects in sequence
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:12:21 pm
Last Edited By Bridget Brown on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:17:46 pm

Hi,

I've been editing a project and everything was working fine. Today when I open my project in Premiere Pro It won't let me move clips in my sequence or add effects. The audio clips will move but only down and it creates a new track. Then I can't move them back up. I can place footage in my timeline but once it's there it won't move. A circle with a slash appears. I also opened and old project that I had finished editing and the same thing happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere but that did nothing. I restored my work space and that did nothing either. I'm completely stumped.

I have Premiere on my laptop with a different Apple ID and my projects work fine.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Can't move clips or add effects in sequence
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:41:19 pm

Hi Bridget....

in the picture, the timeline looks normal to me.

But no effects controls as no clip is selected.

Are you saying it won't let you select a clip?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Bridget BrownRe: Can't move clips or add effects in sequence
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 6:02:56 pm

When I try to select a clip to move it left or right along the timeline the clip highlights but the curser turns to the hand tool grabbing the clip and then there is a small circle with a dash through it. It won't let me move the clip on the timeline at all. If I grab an effect from the effects window and drag it to a clip the same thing happens. When I grab an audio clip, it lets move the clip downwards creating a new audio track but then I can't move it back upwards. The audio clip will move left and right along the timeline but creates a new audio track each time in the process. So If I move the audio clips to the right it will move but creates and moves to a track 4. Then if I want to move the audio track back it will move back but then creates an audio track 5 and I can no longer move it to tracks 1-4.

Return to posts index

Bridget BrownRe: Can't move clips or add effects in sequence
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 8:03:31 pm

Still not sure what it was but it had to be something in the settings. I synched my work Premiere with my home Premiere settings and the problem was fixed.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Can't move clips or add effects in sequence
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 8:47:33 pm

Total weirdness...

well....glad you got sorted...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index