ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere CS5 suddenly crashing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RyanPremiere CS5 suddenly crashing
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 3:31:03 pm

Hello
I have read on this site often for ideas, however now I need some advice.
Let me prelude with : I am sure I did something to cause this.
Anyhow, I have CS5 suite and i was working with after effects and added some plug-ins a while back but I realized they were in the wrong folder OR so I thought. I proceeded to find similar file extensions and put the files in what it thought was the correct folders. STUPID ME!
First i ran into issues with after effects because files were missing, i then located the files and put them back tried it out and it seemed to work. I didnt save or export just tried filters that gave me errors before.
Then i realized it may have effected premiere also cause of the common files.
The problem is when i import footage, it loads and i can place it in the timeline but that is it. If i tried to move or resize i get the error "problem has occured and it must shut down". This is new and i am sure i moved some i should not have. This is all with a new project file. I tried opening an older project file and move things around, it seemed ok. However if I delete all the files and use that old project file as the base to import the new footage same result- it crashes. I never had this issue before and I all the file I replaced so i can put them back if needed.

I do know one error that specifically shows now with the older file "Video Filter missing: AE.ADBE Motion".

I read up and there were suggestions for clearing the cache which I did, but no change. Turned back my machine to yesterday when this worked lovely- no change.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Premiere CS5 suddenly crashing
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 3:41:52 pm

If I were in your situation right now, the first choice I would make would be to un-install, then re-install CS5. That may take a little time, but also saves a lot of time by eliminating a ton of guesswork.

Then I would test CS5 apps BEFORE adding back in any extra goodies, plug-ins, etc.

Finally I would make absolutely sure any new plug-ins, FX, etc. were compatible with CS5, which is, as I am sure you know, pretty long in the tooth. (Don't feel bad - I am still running CS4 at home on an old system for SD work still.)

Once I had confirmed compatibility, then I would make ABSOLUTELY sure where the files/plug-ins are supposed to be installed in CS5. If I wasn't ABSOLUTELY sure, I would seek feedback from the source, and maybe ask about it here too.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Michael RyanRe: Premiere CS5 suddenly crashing
by on Aug 20, 2016 at 8:49:49 am

Yeah, I am inclined to agree with you. A reinstall seems the best approach. I have several projects in the works which don't require Premiere and the rest of the suite seems to be working fine, well the ones i use most PS, AE, AI. So, I will work in AE creating the the footage to be edited after the reinstallation. If I do it right now, it will set things too far back. In a way I guess this is the extra push to finish projects both motion and still.
Thank you for your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]