ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Multicam changes my audio track names

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny BaronMulticam changes my audio track names
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 12:26:08 am

Is there a way to keep audio track names while editing a multicam sequence? They get automatically renamed to the sequence name.

I sync my cameras in a multicam sequence. Then i make a new sequence to get all the video onto the V1 layer. At that point all of my audio tracks are renamed the name of the sequence rather than the camera name or audio file name. This can lead to some confusion. Also, when I reveal in project it only points to the multicam sequence which it came from which doesn't help.

Thanks

Danny

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Multicam changes my audio track names
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 1:03:58 pm

[Danny Baron] "Is there a way to keep audio track names while editing a multicam sequence? They get automatically renamed to the sequence name."

When using the "Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence" dialogue box the first menu box allows you to name your multicam source based on the audio clip name, and then at the bottom of the multicam dialogue box there is a section called "Camera Names" and you could choose "use clip names" and the names of your clip sources will appear in the multicam source window.

Once you've created a multicam source all clips from that source will carry the multicam source name, which is why it's important to name the multicams properly to begin with.

Once you've created a multicam source you can't change it's underlying properties so the quickest way to find the original name of a clip is to use the "match frame" function, shortcut F, which puts the multicam in the source viewer and then hit F again which puts the original clip in the source viewer. You can also "flatten" a clip to reveal the original source clip but this is tricky because there is no "un-flatten" command and only "undo" will get you back to multicam mode.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Danny BaronRe: Multicam changes my audio track names
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:43:24 pm

Herb, thanks so much for this response. It isn' doing what I set out to do or I am not being clear in my question. I have 16 tracks of audio in this sequence. Once I take the parent multicam sequence in which all tracks are named as they are in the original file (Either an audio only file or named as their camera). Then when I make a New Sequence from that all the audio files are given a single name.

I tried to follow your instructions as I understand them which is that as I CREATE MULTICAM SOURCE SEQUENCE I choose (on the upper drop down) "AUDIO CLIP NAMES +" and on the bottom choices I click "Use Clip Names." After doing that I make a NEW SEQUENCE FROM CLIP and all of the audio tracks are automatically renamed the name of the sequence along with the name of the first audio file.

So, I titled my sequence ATH1 NEW MC -- all of my audio tracks are now named identically "boardaudio-R_20160711ATH1 NEW MC". (Also Premiere added "boardaudio-R_20160711" to the beginning of my sequence name which is weird.)

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:46:35 pm

[Danny Baron] " Once I take the parent multicam sequence in which all tracks are named as they are in the original file (Either an audio only file or named as their camera). Then when I make a New Sequence from that all the audio files are given a single name."

What do you mean by - "when I make a new sequence from that." To use multicam properly you need to create it, then use it as a source in a separate "editing" timeline. This "editing timeline" can be created from scratch or can be created by choosing one of the source clips that you used to make your multicam source, then right click and choose "make sequence from clip." Once that sequence is created, delete the source clip and put the multicam source, or sources, into the timeline and start cutting. You should not, however, use "make sequence from clip" while pointing at the multicam clip - that will totally screw you up. Is that what you were doing?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:20:05 pm

Herb, firstly, thanks so much!

I was on with Adobe support chat. They described the mulitcam flow thus: 1. Select video and audio media 2. Click Create Multicamera Source sequence 3. Make New Sequence (which flattens synced video layers).

Then the sequence from step 3 is the sequence I edit with. An issue I have is that the names of the audio tracks are eliminated at step 3 (all changed to sequence name).

Perhaps this is the wrong approach to multicamera editing to begin with?

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:55:24 pm

[Danny Baron] " 3. Make New Sequence (which flattens synced video layers). Then the sequence from step 3 is the sequence I edit with"

This is what I am trying to understand and to do that I will avoid the word sequence and use timeline instead.

You should only have 2 timelines to start with - the multicam clip you created (which is actually a special type of timeline) and the timeline you are editing the multicam clip into. There is no need for a third timeline. So how many timelines are you using?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 11:18:26 pm

I'll try to describe it in case my terminology is wrong.

After splitting the raw footage from 7 cameras into bins for the 6 sections of the show, I right-click select say 20 clips (there are more clips than cameras because some cameras stop and start). After right-clicking the 3 audio tracks and 20 clips I hit "Create Multicamera Source Sequence."

That source sequence is now in sync (although a track or two may be a frame or two out). I have a screenshot "Multicam Sequence" attached. Note at this point the audio files are named by their raw source -- camera file name or audio file name.

I take that, right-click and hit New Sequence. This sequence I then use for camera selection and editing. I have a photo attached New Sequence. This sequence has the handy single video layer from which camera angles can be easily chosen and modified. However, as you can see all audio files now have the name of the sequence.

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:44:20 pm

I have not been able to duplicate your problem with the names of audio files - the original names of the audio appear in my timeline just as the original names of the video clips appear in my timeline. There are only 2 possibilities that i can think of - Either there is some setting in your timeline preferences or in your multicam preferences that is causing your problems.

Please list all settings that have a check next to them in both the "wrench" menu and the "3 line" menu in your timeline.

Then tell me exactly what settings you use when making your multicams - specifically how do you "name" them in the top of the MultiCam dialogue box and which of the 3 options do you choose in the audio portion of the dialogue "Camera 1""All Cameras""Switch Audio". This last is very important because PPro actually makes 3 different types of multiclips based on which of these 3 options you choose.

I would need to know what you are trying to do with your audio tracks to advise you on which of the 3 options to use. From what I can see you have 3 different audio wave files of different lengths along with 7 cameras that also have audio with them. This is highly unusual in that generally if you were doing double system sound recording there would be only one multitrack source for that, as opposed to the 3 you have. Do you need access to all of your audio sources, if not which ones will you use and finally will you need to hear multiple sources at one time or generally just one specific track, although the source may vary, at a time?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2016 at 6:26:23 pm

Herb, thanks for looking!

Timeline three-line menu:
Audio Waveforms use Label color
Rectified Audio waveforms
Logarithmic Waveforms Scaling
Trim ruler Numbers
Video head thumbnails

WRNCH MENU CHECKED:
Show video thumbnails, keyframes, names.
Show audio, thumbnails, keyframes, names.
Show clip markers
Show FX badges
Composite preview during trim

Create Multi-Cam Source Sequence
Custom, Audio track channel 1, sequence preset: automatic, sequence settings: all camera, audio channel preset automatic, camera names enumerate cameras.

With those settings I get a synchronized timeline with audio tracks retaining their parent file names. The syncing usually works perfectly (sometimes I need to nudge a file a frame or two.) Then I “Make a New Sequence” for editing and the audio files are renamed.

I have three wild tracks because this is alive show with one feed being the stage mic to board, another is a shotgun on the audience, another is an omni overhead on the audience. Additionally there is a radio mic on one loud personality who needs his own treatment. I left other tracks in case I run into a problem on those tracks but fo ease of use I should probably rely on match-framing in case I run into an issue that may never occur.

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2016 at 10:16:14 pm

Herb, your response got me thinking. You said you could not recreate this. I went in and erased all cache files and renamed all Adobe folders and rebuilt everything. I think it's working now. Thanks so much! You were enormously helpful.

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:54:28 am

Glad I could help.

Good luck.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:50:18 am

Herb, one last comment on this. I ran into another problem. Premiere resets what tracks I am monitoring so I have to manually reset them after making a new sequence. While resolving that I erased cache, etc. Later, after the volume issue seemed to be resolved the audio track issue reappeared. There are three issues, all sound related. Dissapearing waveforms, renamed audio tracks and monitor switches. they seem to come and go pretty randomly. It feels to me like the program isn;t stable enough for a mutlicam project -- unless you don't mind missing waveforms and audio file names. If I wasn't already down this path for this first part I'd jump ship.

Again though, I think i get two out of three working at any given time by trying what you lead me to so thanks.

Danny

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:30:55 pm

Danny -

Everything I cut is multicamera and for the last 2 years it's all been on Ppro. During that time I've had about 3 timelines that got "corrupted" in one way or another and that caused me the kind of grief you've been having. I've never figured out why and it seems like you're having one now. I will give you one piece of advice and maybe this will help - turn off "composite preview during trim" in the timeline wrench menu - this is a known cause of audio problems if you use audio effects and I just always keep it off as a general practice.

Good luck.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 5:57:49 pm

Good to know. Thanks again. I'll do that.

With lack of an explanation I also wonder if it's because 6 cameras are h264 and one is mxf.

Danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]