ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Horizontal Banding In Footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany JonesHorizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 8:29:56 pm

I'm using Premiere Pro CS6, and I have a short clip where I have added two different shots side by side. Each are fine when played by themselves, or if one is disabled while the other plays, but when they play together, I get dark, flickering horizontal banding. I can't seem to find anything out there that helps - I've tried grain, noise, de-interlacing....nothing seems to be helping.

Here is a frame without the striping:

Here is a frame with the striping:

It's very subtle from the images, but it's very obvious and distracting with video. Any help you can give would be great! I'm just starting out in video production. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 3:10:56 am

Does it actually "flicker"? There is a plug in called Re:Vision DeFlicker that might help.

Go here and watch the demo video. It will probably show you whether it might help or not. I'm thinking maybe not since it's not the video that has the banding, but what you're doing with the video that's causing it. Anyway, check out the demo vid if you want.
http://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/

Return to posts index

Brittany JonesRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 3:17:15 am

The bands themselves flicker. I forgot to mention I tried the field option for flicker removal and that didn't do anything either. I might just have to nix the design, but thought I would try here (I can't pony up the $250 for DEFlicker for this project :p ).

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2016 at 9:08:03 am

Don't give up. I'm not the be all and end all of help here, by any means. Tero knows his stuff. And he's right, the pictures look identical. Put up a short video of the effect you're getting and put a link here. OK I'm outta here. My work is done ;-)

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 4:11:05 am

I can't see anything from those images. Can you post a video of what is happening?

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 3:06:49 pm

There is a very slight - yet visible - darkening across the bottom of the wood floor in the second image.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:21:46 pm

So here's the clip itself, you can see the banding much better in this: 10437_trailer.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 2:12:49 am

I have deFlicker. I downloaded your sample. I'm encoding something right now but tomorrow morning I'll open your clip in PPro and apply deFlicker and see if it fixes the problem. The only flickering I see is on the right side at the bottom, right? I'll post back here after I'm done, sometime tomorrow morning.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 3:37:41 am

Ahh, thank you, Duke!!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 3:53:55 am

If the original footage is not flickering then it has probably something to do with the sequence and using an effect to minimize that would be pretty weird. Do you have any effects on the clips? Do you have the Mercury Playback engine set to GPU accelerated or software? Sequence settings? Export settings?

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Horizontal Banding In Footage
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 12:25:35 pm

MIght want to turn off Composite in linear Color (Sequence Settings).

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 12:57:38 pm

Just to back up Tero (and Ann), DE-Flicker did work but only removed about 95% of the flicker, not all of it. Plus it's an After Effects plug-in, not Premiere Pro. But like they said there has to be a solution other than adding an effect. I'm sure they'll get to the root of the problem.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 1:35:59 pm

For some reason I can't figure out how to do a general post on this thread (makes me feel old), but here's an UPDATE: I removed the effects I had on the clip - I had some shadow and highlight changes and fast color corrector were applied. Once I removed them, the banding went away! I am hoping they don't return after I send the sequence into Speed Grade. Thank you ALL for your help!!!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 2:03:59 pm

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]