ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Horrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie KoselukHorrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 7:17:52 pm

Okay, so I am relatively new to audio editing. I just filmed a wedding and I purchased a new wireless mic for the ceremony. Upon reviewing the footage, the entire clip is completely ruined with static. The audio can be heard if you increase the volume levels a crazy amount, but thus increases the static volume as well.

I obviously can't re-record it, that's not an option. I have tried searching this topic non stop for hours with no luck. Is there any program, Adobe or otherwise, that can fix this crazy static issue? The static is throughout the whole clip so it's very difficult to pick a spot to "fix." I know it won't be perfect, but I at least want to hear the vocals or else the entire ceremony is ruined :( Any suggestions at all, please??

Any and all advice is appreciated. If it cannot be fixed, can I at least get some advice on what to do in the future?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 8:28:40 pm

Adobe Audition has a noise reduction tool. You sample a short section of the audio with just the noise, and the tool will reduce it. I won't eliminate it.

I think you already know the answer to the "what to do in the future" question -- work with a new piece of gear to make sure you know how to operate it before you have to use it for real.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Horrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 1:12:26 pm

Dave, I remember at one time I could sample a silent segment of an audio clip so that I'm only sampling the noise, and then apply the filter to the entire clip, but now (and not just the latest Prelude but the previous version which used to work fine) if I apply to the entire clip it hardly cleans the noise at all. It will only do a great job if I apply it to the segment that I sampled. I know there are two ways of cleaning noise, but neither of them are working like it used to. I tried the step by step instructions someone gave here a few months ago (you, possibly) but I still got the same result.

Any new advice you can give me? None of the youtube tutorials clean the whole track. It's either just the sampled segment, or a bad job on the entire track.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 5:30:49 pm

I'd export the entire audio track as a wav or aiff, import into Audition and try it there. It would be better to export just the noisy tracks in the edit timeline.

I don't know anything about Prelude.... don't use it. Don't WANT to use it. Not if I have Audition handy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Horrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 6:22:36 pm

Sorry Dave, I meant Audition. So you're saying to export the audio first, then import into Audition rather than use the import option inside Premiere Pro. I'll give it a shot. Never had to do it that way before, though.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:11:47 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:30:22 pm

I'd give it a shot.
Normally in a video edit timeline, not every clip has consistently- bad, noisy audio. If you segregate them into a single audio track -- or a couple, if the bad audio overlaps in the timeline -- you can export them all and do the track(s) in one shot. I've used a noise-reduction tool similar to the one in Audition in that manner and it did NOT work miracles.. but it DID help.

The really good audio tools are pricey. With Adobe, you get Band-Aids.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jim CunninghamRe: Horrific Static Throughout Entire Audio Recording
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 12:28:49 pm

The iZotope RX plug-in also provide very good noise reduction.

Good luck,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]