ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia GrunwaldHow to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:15:12 pm

Hello Guys!
I am working for an independent film firm in Germany. We are using the newest version of premiere pro on a Mac.
It is our first time to work with the program therefore I may have a silly question but desperately need help!

We successfully cut and color graded our independent feature film. We have a good contact to a cinema near by and want to check if we did everything okay. Therefore we want to export a dcp. Problem is that Premiere wants to create a 1,4 TB dcp file, way to big as you can guess. I tried exporting an Apple Pro Res HQ master file and make a dcp version out of it with dcp-o-matic but by this suddenly our material looked blurred on the big screen. Not much but our former color grading check of a 3min extract of the film via exporting a dcp looked great on the cinema screen (also exported with dcp-o-matic). So the original material can't be the reason for this phenomenon.

Please help, maybe I am making a mind mistake here and therefore I am not finding the solution. Am not a pro but still we have a great, independent project to put it out into the world. So I really, really need your support!
Thanks, JG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 9:15:19 pm

Have you double-checked the specifications required by the cinema? The projectionist would be a good person to ask.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Julia GrunwaldRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 7:54:11 am

Dear Dave,

with specifications do mean exactly? Yes, I talked with him, he gave us the recommendation to use dcp-o-matic which worked well if I export a short dcp of premiere then "convert" it again with dcp-o-matic. Looked great on big screen. The problem occurs when I want to export the full length feature.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 2:13:10 pm

I'm glad the short clip worked well. I suspect this dcp-o-matic is a free application, and you might need a paid version to convert a feature-length file. This is just a guess. A person with more experience with the cinena should advise you, not me!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 1:25:24 am

[Julia Grunwald] "Problem is that Premiere wants to create a 1,4 TB dcp file, way to big as you can guess."

Why is this too big?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Julia GrunwaldRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 7:49:34 am

Dear Oliver,

the files they usually get from the productions firms are smaller than 1TB. they do not have the capacity on their server for such a large file the responsible person told me.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 9:57:25 am

Yeah 1 TB DCP's are pretty huge. The Premiere DCP thing doesn't have any bitrate controls and forces the export to be 250 Mbps. Which is overkill for most. I've rendered out from Premiere using the Fnordware J2K plugin at 125 Mbps and packaged it separately in OpenDCP.

Return to posts index

Carl HetheringtonRe: How to export a dcp file of a feature length out of premiere?!
by on Aug 12, 2016 at 11:06:54 pm

Hi Julia,
If you don't find a solution here do feel free to get in touch via any of the means on http://dcpomatic.com/help
DCP-o-matic is perfectly capable of converting feature-length material: you do not need to pay for it.
Kind regards,
Carl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]