ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy CollinsFootage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 5:14:09 pm

I am working on a Macbook Pro with CS5 Premiere.
I have footage that was shot on a GoPro and drone, both 4:3.
My final export must be a 16:9 widescreen.

When I currently export my video it has black all around it, as if floating in a black abyss...

I know I can stretch the footage or scale but is there a better way to do this?

I will attach my export settings.
There is no audio on this project.

What am I doing wrong?
Please help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 5:24:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 9, 2016 at 5:36:36 pm

I see that you set your dimensions for 1920x1080. That's HD, and it has square pixels. But just below that, the aspect is set for D1/DV NTSC Widescreen.... which typically would be SD 720x480 with a wide pixel aspect ratio.

I also see conflicting frame rates -- 24 and 23.98. Oddly, nothing that reflects the true frame rate almost all of the time, 23.976.

What are you trying to export? And how are you handling your 4x3 video in what's presumably a 16x9 edit timeline?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 6:16:29 pm

Dave's observations are spot on, need to fix original sequence before proceeding with any export. 1920x1080 should be 1.0 pixel aspect, for sequence and export.

Regarding the question of how to fit 4:3 footage into a 16:9 sequence/output without black areas, a few options.

• Using Adobe Motion Effect, Scale the source video up until it fills the screen. This will cut off the top and bottom of the image though. You can use Motion/Position to bump image up or down as appropriate for proper framing, for instance to avoid cutting off tops of heads.

• Stretch image horizontally, using Adobe Motion/Scale and changing only the X parameter.

• Do what is done on documentaries and TV news, often seen for 4:3 footage or vertical cell phone videos - put video on V1 track, stretch horizontally to fill screen, then add Gaussian Blur to taste. Put same clip above on V2, without modification. Now the background (left and right sides) will "match" the video, far less distracting than black bars and TV viewers are used to seeing this and don't even notice, eyes being focused on content center screen.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2016 at 6:18:42 pm

Just read OP again, and you say "black all around" so now I wonder what resolution the source might actually be, something smaller than 1080p?? Right-click (or Mac-equivalent) a source clip in Project Bin and hit Properties, please let us know the specs of the source clip (dimensions, frame rate).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeremy CollinsRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
    by on Aug 15, 2016 at 5:40:02 pm

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your input!

So, my final video basically uses four clips.
    Here are the screen shots of the original specs.

So they are kind of all over the place

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
    by on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:07:41 pm

One option I'd like to add, Jeff, is "Andy's Elastic Aspect", a free plug-in that's now part of FxFactory.

It stretches the sides of the image while leaving the center relatively untouched -- handy for certain things, useless for others.
    Plus, you can adjust how much gets stretched and where the "center" region is.

Certainly could save a round trip to After Effects!

best,
    Greg Leslie

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
    by on Aug 10, 2016 at 5:33:46 pm

I developed a similar template project for After Effects -- helpful for those of us on PCs with no FxFactory:

http://www.keenlive.com/renderbreak/2013/06/non-linear-stretch-43-to-169-in...

Walter Soyka
    Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    @keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy CollinsRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
    by on Aug 15, 2016 at 5:57:36 pm

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the help!

I'm going to re-export and make the changes.

I am trying to take a lot of different footage sizes and combine them. So I may be loosing quality but I just wanted to see if there was any other options.

This is going to be marketing material on a 50 inch or so TV screen.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Footage 4:3 needs to go to 16:9 final copy
    by on Aug 15, 2016 at 6:31:10 pm

I'd have a nice chat with the end-users of your work to find out what they need for successful playback. Then you'll know just what you need to make.

Dave LaRonde
    Promotion Producer
    KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 2:41:22 pm

As other poster suggested, figure out what the deliverable needs to be - for instance 1080p or 720p?

The majority of the clips are 1080p, so in that case only the one clip would get "blown up" in a 1080p sequence, and maybe looks pretty good, try it and see. If you edit as 720p, then that one 1280x960 clip will retain its quality, at the expense of lowering the quality of the 1080p clips. Don't get me wrong, they will look like good 720p clips, but they won't be 1080p anymore - your deliverable is a lower resolution now.

Frame rate is another consideration - the 48p clip is the oddball, as that is not a delivery frame rate, but rather is used to get better slow motion, for instance putting the 48p clip into a 24p sequence and get smooth 50% slow motion.

Do you need to deliver as 60p, or will the common 30p be fine? If the latter, 60p clips work perfectly in a 30p sequence. Personally, I would be editing in a 1080p30 sequence, and export/deliver as 1080p30. Just the one clip will be blown up and may suffer some quality loss, maybe not that noticeable. And not sure how 48p converts to 30p, might see a strange cadence to the frames, due to 48 to 30 frames per second playback conversion, odd frames being dropped.

Example - New Sequence > AVCHD > 1080p > 1080p30

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]