ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric PasI need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 2:09:43 pm

Hello,

I would appreciate any of your expert advice.

I use a pretty powerful iMac (32gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.
running Yosemite).

I am a full time videographer and currently use the CS6 suite. I use Premiere Pro, Audition, Encoder and Photoshop a lot. I will use After Effects and Encore a few times a year.

I know CS6 hadn't been updated in years and won't be. I know I can't update my Mac operating system because CS6 isn't compatible with any new operating systems. I basically know that my time with CS6 is going to have to end soon.

I absolutely hate the idea of renting CC for $600 a year. I don't feel comfortable knowing that I'm trapped into paying yearly for it, otherwise I won't have any editing software. But I am aware that that is just the way things are now.

Is there a huge upgrade from CS6 to CC? Should I just stick with CS6 and not update my Mac for a while? Is rendering going to be a lot faster with CC?

I am just at a crossroads. Really hate spending $600 a year but am aware maybe I just will have to. Any advice on this matter?

Return to posts index

Warren EigRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 4:57:40 pm

I've updated my system to Mac's newer operating system with CS6.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Eric PasRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:07:36 pm

Oh really?? You are using El Capitan?

Did you have any issues with any of the Adobe apps? I have seen very mixed reviews with it and sounded like a bad idea. But I am interested in your experience.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:46:19 pm

[Eric Pas] "Is there a huge upgrade from CS6 to CC? Should I just stick with CS6 and not update my Mac for a while? Is rendering going to be a lot faster with CC?"

The current version of Premiere CC 2015 is amazingly better than CS6 is. I cannot even imagine still trying to edit under that version (I would actually have to transcode my XF AVC to ProRes or something else in order to get it to work, and cannot farm any projects out to editors not on Premiere CC 2015).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 8:51:49 pm

If your OS will run it, I'd take a look at DaVinci resolve. It's reputed to be a pretty good editor. Never mind it began life as a color correction & grading application. It's free, so it's easy to evaluate it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 7, 2016 at 9:52:10 pm

Thanks for the thoughts thus far!

I have Desolve but never used it. Maybe I should give it a shot!

It just stinks because I do have some huge Premiere Projects that have been going on for a couple of years so re building it in a different editor sounds a little scary.

Also, not having Photoshop or After Effects doesn't sound great if I go with Desolve.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2016 at 3:15:57 pm

I think I will look into Resolve more! It seems to get a lot of love. Ill try it and if it works out, and if i need After Effects for a project I guess I can rent it for a month. I am still open to other thoughts though as I am still deciding.

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 1:40:50 pm

I was actually considering buying a copy of the CS6 suite because I'm still working in CC2013 on a multi-year project and am tired of paying for the versions of CC that I don't use because they require purchasing new versions of Macs/Mac OSs. But then why did I leave FCP7? Oh, yeah, I thought I'd like Premiere better than FCP X. It's taken a while to learn it.

I wonder if Resolve also requires the updates of computer systems to work well. Worth researching, but not now, still working on that project.

Of course I'm not using this software to earn income, like you guys.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2016 at 9:36:04 pm

I just tried out Resolve on a project for 2 days. It is a pretty cool piece of free software and I can see how professionals love it. But it really is not for me i don't think. I might be too set in my ways with Premiere. I got very frustrated trying to do some very simple tasks like importing music.

Maybe I should get CC for a year or 2 and then by then maybe Resolve will be a little user friendly for me?

So CC probably is a lot faster than CS6 in terms of rendering and stuff like that?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 7:31:03 pm

So i think I will be upgrading to CC shortly.

1)I am working on some large project. Should I wait until I am done with them? Or should it be fine while upgrading from CS6 to CC?

2) Any other tips regarding the upgrade? I want to retain Encore but I think there are tutorials out there to keep it because CC doesn't have it right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:28:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:36:19 pm

Here is the commonly-accepted wisdom, gleaned from many an unfortunate individual. I simply accept it as Gospel:

Never --- NEVER, EVER --- ALTER YOUR SOFTWARE SETUP IN THE MIDST OF A BIG PROJECT. The same thing applies to moving to a new machine.

There are just too many things that can go wrong that will really hose you. You take on far too much risk if you attempt a big change.

You can install CC apps right alongside your CS6 apps. But you MUST be careful -- the installer defaults to deleting the old apps. You have to tell the installer not to do that.

And of course, you don't take the plunge on the new installation until the big project is in the can.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:44:53 pm

Remember, too, Premiere apps are not backwards-compatible. If you do any work in CC you won't be able to take it back to CS6.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 10:05:28 pm

Thanks guys!

I hope I won't have any issues keeping Encore. I still need to make Blu-Rays for some clients. I have Toast but I am not a huge fan of it.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: I need some advice on if I should upgrade from CS6 to CC please.
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:09:54 pm

[Eric Pas] "1)I am working on some large project. Should I wait until I am done with them? Or should it be fine while upgrading from CS6 to CC?"

I would wait. CS6 is now five generations behind the current version and nothing would spoil your move-up to CC more than to have issues with a CS6 project. I have done it, quite successfully, for older stuff that needs to be revisited, but I wouldn't want the stress of getting the cut out the door whilst having to do a significant upgrade of the NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]