ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan KeithAssigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 12:28:28 am

OK....not sure what I'm missing here. Back in my FCP days, this was a simple task and I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure it out in Premiere.

I'm trying to assign a matte (a pre-rendered asset) to a clip and then adjust the position/scale of the newly matted clip so that a specific area of the clip is showing in the matte. . I'm using the track matte effect. I get the matte working properly...but as soon as I make any position/scale adjustments, the matte is "stuck" the the clip...making it impossible to fine tune the matte.

Is the track matte the wrong tool for this job? Seems like a pretty basic thing but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 11:14:03 am

OK, I'll give it a shot. You may already know this but for some reason it's not working for you, but then again you might now. Under "Motion" you will find Position and Scale. There, you can resize your clip, and move it left to right and/or up and down. You can also scale it, and if you need to scale height and width separately, uncheck the box for uniform scaling.

As for the mask, under your mask there should be "Mask Path". Click on the round stopwatch looking things to turn it blue, and then you can keyframe the movement of your mask. If you need to change the scale or position of your matte, the same applies in Position and Scale. Click the stopwatch to turn it blue, and then you can keyframe any changes to position or scale.

Hopefully your response to this won't be "I know that already!!! It doesn't work!!!" ;-)

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 11:21:17 am

As usual, having reread the problem I see my response doesn't help at all.

Well, I just opened a recent project. I went to a sequence with a keyed clip over a background. I had masked out the non-green screen edges. I scaled it from where it was, 51%, up to 200% and down to 0% with no problem. Then I changed the position, again with no problem.

I do remember times when I would do all that and the mask didn't adjust accordingly but I don't remember those steps. So there must be a right way and a wrong way. Once again, someone with far more experience than me will be along to give better advice.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 11:43:01 am

Hey Bryan....

it's clunky....but nest your fill...

then step into the nest and adjust the motion of the fill within the nest...

yes it's clunky...

yes you lose context....

yes it's been this way forever....

yes they need to fix it.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Bryan KeithRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 4:42:46 pm

Alex,

Appreciate the nesting tip. I'll give that a shot when I have a chance. Ugh...definitely sounds like a cludgy way to handle this scenario. I'll be sending in my feature request form soon. I used to have to do this all the time but yesterday was the first time I needed to since switching to Premiere a couple years ago.

Duke, appreciate the response, but I think Alex's advice is the way to go for this particular situation.

Bryan

Bryan Keith

Return to posts index

jerry wiseRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 4:46:32 pm

I too came from FCP7 and i can say that really hate how Premiere handles this. i tried nesting and it's a crap way of doing things. so do what you described and on your "fill" clip apply "Andy's Better 3D" ABOVE track matte key. things will jump around a bit maybe. position your matte where you want it. you can even resize it. now using Andy's Better 3D reposition and resize your clip. Andy's doesnt have a size control so you will have to use his Z Position to resize you clip. it's goofy but it works. Good Luck. and to Adobe i give you the one finger salute.
ps Andy's is a free download plugin. if you have Boris Perspective Unit then that works too but better but it's not free.

Return to posts index

Bryan KeithRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 6, 2016 at 5:27:04 pm

I just sent in a feature request. Please do the same!!!!

Bryan Keith

Return to posts index

jerry wiseRe: Assigning matte to clip and then adjusting position/scale
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:10:16 pm

They will ignore your request as they have my 5 requests for a fix to this. It's possible that it can't be done with the current state of their software design. If it's not possible then i wish they would tell us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]