ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris PaulPremiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:18:07 pm

Just updated to 2015.4. The alpha channel in some quicktime movies is no longer interpreted correctly. These have premultiplied alpha but are being interpreted as straight. I am unable to change the interpretation through the usual dialog in Premiere- the option is there but is does not actually get applied to the clip. I had to re-render the clips in AfterEffects.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Duke SwedenRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:40:09 am

How did you render the original misinterpreted clips? In AE?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:48:22 am

I'm rendering a green screen clip right now out of AE. I'll let you know the result. Normally I do it in Premiere Pro, but I just noticed how much smoother and faster Primatte Keyer works in AE. Compared to Premiere Pro it's like I'm on a workstation over here. On PPro it's so sluggish and aggravating.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:19:17 am

Just finished rendering (in AE, not AME) and dropped the clip in a Premiere Pro timeline and it looks great. Didn't have to change opacity to screen or multiply or anything. Again, keyed it in After Effects and sent composition to Render Queue. Rendered as AVI + Alpha.

If I remember correctly AME is incapable of rendering with an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 10:50:09 am

[Duke Sweden] "If I remember correctly AME is incapable of rendering with an alpha channel."

If you have a supported format with the correct settings you can render with alpha from AME.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 11:32:08 am

Sorry, Tero. I meant using Quicktime. I know you can encode with an alpha channel using .png for example.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 12:24:45 pm

There are Quicktime codecs that support alpha.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:32:43 pm

Back when I wanted to know if I could export video files with alpha in AME or PPro I was told that I could only do it using .png. But, anyway, here's a rather unsettling update. When I opened the project again this morning, my video clip with the alpha channel was no longer transparent. I tried deleting it and adding it to its own track again, but it shows a black background. As I mentioned last night, it looked perfect when I first added it to the timeline.

Then I noticed that I had proxies turned on. So evidently when doing green screen and using proxies, one must tread carefully.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:28:49 pm

Here's a list of QT codecs that support alpha channels:
- Animation
- PNG
- DNxHD (if you get it from Avid)
- The high-resolution version of DNxHD, whatever they call it
- ProRes 4444
- JPEG 2000 (no kidding)

And I'm not so sure I'd use proxies for chroma keying. Keying is all about the edges and color accuracy. I don't think proxies fit the bill. Sure, the originals may slow you down but erring in favor of accuracy ain't bad.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:36:04 pm

I'm guessing DNxHR (as opposed to HD).

Yeah, I don't usually make proxies for my green screen clips. What I meant was PPro had proxies turned on, and the proxy version of my green screen clip had a black background. When I turned off proxies, the transparency returned.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:43:01 pm

Yup, that's the name. Since I have to work cross-platform a lot, I think I'm going to start giving JPEG 2000 a spin just out of curiosity.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:33:19 pm

Let us know if hot, sexy love cyborgs show up at your door ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris PaulRe: Premiere 2015.4 compositing problem
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 6:00:27 pm

Another lovely thing that has happened with the 2015.4 update is that most of the LUTs are gone, including all my custom ones.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 8:32:27 pm

I just realized you're referring to this latest update from a day or so ago. I just updated today so ignore my "alpha" stuff, but I just checked and I still have all of my custom LUT's. But one thing I've learned is that Adobe bugs only seem to happen to individuals, not across the board. Which is not very reassuring either way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]