ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blair MarinoFuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 6:51:36 pm

Hello all,

We recorded my sister's wedding with a HD camera we bought recently (Canon VIXIA HF G20). My husband shot the video and did not notice any kind of video blurriness/halo effect around the edges while he was recording. When we were viewing the video later, we noticed there was a blurry/halo edge around some of the shots! We used a wide angle lens. We have shot/edited wedding videos many years ago (before HD) and never had this issue. Has this happened to anyone else? We are stumped why we didn't see this while recording. I feel like an idiot, since my sister entrusted us with this task. Can this be fixed with the Premiere Pro? I appear to be HD illiterate. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 8:27:02 pm

Can you post a screen shot illustrating the problem?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 8:59:41 pm

I have an older Canon HV20 HD camcorder and an after-market WA adapter. While the WA lens usually works fine (on wide-angle) I have seen the issues you describe when zooming. It's cheap glass and maybe was not even meant for HD video. I think the issue is called Chromatic Aberration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration#/media/File:Chromatic_ab...

Unfortunately, not aware of a fix in post. If image is soft, you can try some Unsharp Mask (which takes forever to render) but for halos/fringes you may be stuck with that, sorry.

Moving forward, if the lens adapter is not a Canon unit meant for that camera, consider investing in the proper glass so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Blair MarinoRe: Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 11:09:09 pm

Thanks for the info. For the record, I used to be a professional video editor about 12 years ago. I have been out of the loop (pun intended) for quite some time.

Blair

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2016 at 11:03:57 pm

Here is a frame of the video with the problem:

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 11:46:41 pm

Looks like a bad wide angle lens. It's not fixable in post.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2016 at 12:09:18 am

Thanks, but not all of the video is bad. Only certain shots. It's mostly the outdoor shots.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Fuzzy/Halo around recorded HD video
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 11:39:47 am

That wide converter is probably supposed to be used with a certain zoom setting so it would crop out the edges so you wouldn't see the messy blur at the sides. The effect will probably be different depending on that. You could try cropping the image but depending on the composition it might not be possible.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2016 at 8:18:00 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]