ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

PPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenPPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 1:42:16 pm

I was thinking maybe my recent switch to 4K might be the cause of Premiere Pro doing its imitation of molasses, but in my last two videos I start out working with a jpg background and a 720p greenscreen animation from youtube, and I can't even scrub the timeline. Every little thing freezes the program up for as much as 30 seconds.

I've cleared cache and the database. I can't think of anything else that could be causing such a massive slowdown. I'm going to try converting the jpg backgrounds to uncompressed png's, but that can't possibly be the cause. I'll report back.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: PPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 1:50:29 pm

So which computer are you on now? I know there was a lot of jockeying around between systems recently and I don't know what you settled on.

Unless you need to do the Kens Burns zoom/pan on the background, make the still image the sequence size, for instance 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Using super-large images like 5000x4000 can use a lot of resources

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: PPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 1:55:08 pm

PNG's are compressed so that wouldn't help with performance because your machine will need to decompress every frame. Using an uncompressed sequence like DPX/TIFF/EXR would help but they will take a lot of space and they will need fast storage. In 4K you'll need an insanely fast RAID (2 GB/s or more) to run one track in realtime. An uncompressed full HD sequence running at 25fps would require 200 MB/s read speed.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: PPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 2:00:50 pm

Jeff - Same crappy computer I've been using for the past 2 years.

Jeff & Tero - Yeah I've been grabbing 3840x2160 images so that I wouldn't have to resize, and be able to zoom in on them the same amount as my green screen footage. I'll try your suggestions and report back. Thanks to both of you.

Gary Huff, just stay away from my posts, alright?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2016 at 2:17:53 pm

Hi Duke,

Just realized you are using a YouTube video in your sequence - try transcoding that to something less compressed, should be easier to play back then

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: PPro getting waaaaaay too bogged down now
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 3:24:38 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I actually shrank down my jpg's to 1920x1080 and saved as uncompressed .tiff's and that improved performance by 1000%. If I run into further troubles I'll do what you suggested but as of now things are running a LOT smoother. I'll see what happens when I add my own green screen stuff to the mix.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2016 at 3:26:34 pm

Glad that helped!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]