ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Sequences with 1080p 60 fps and 4K 30 fps

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Finn HaverkampSequences with 1080p 60 fps and 4K 30 fps
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 1:56:12 am

Hello,

I'm making my first film, a documentary of home footage. I used a Sony FDR-AX 53.
I shot in both 4K at 30 fps, and at 1080p at 60 fps. Most all of my sequences have a combination of both video types.
What's the best way to create a sequence? I suppose the best option is 1080p with 4K fit to frame. Right?

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Sequences with 1080p 60 fps and 4K 30 fps
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 12:56:59 pm

[Finn Haverkamp] "I shot in both 4K at 30 fps, and at 1080p at 60 fps. Most all of my sequences have a combination of both video types. What's the best way to create a sequence? I suppose the best option is 1080p with 4K fit to frame. Right?"

The best sequence is one that mirrors what your final output will be. Do you want to have a 4K master at the end or a 1080? You're also going to have to figure out a frame rate. If you go 30p, you can simply toss out frames from the 1080p60 footage. If you go 60p, then frames will be doubled with the 4K clips. You don't mention if the 60p is going to be full speed, or if your intention is to conform it to 30p anyway to get half-speed playback. One thing to keep in mind is that 60p is not supported on physical media save for 720p60 on the Blu-ray disc format, so if you have any inclination to go with 60p you'll be limited by that spec.

Return to posts index

Finn HaverkampRe: Sequences with 1080p 60 fps and 4K 30 fps
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 3:16:59 am

Thanks Gary. In terms of frame-rate, would you recommend duplicating the 30p frames or chopping the 60p? What are the advantages or disadvantages to both? In terms of resolution, if I publish the thing in 4K, wouldn't I have to upscale the 1080p (and pixelate the clips)?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2016 at 3:44:08 pm

[Finn Haverkamp] "In terms of frame-rate, would you recommend duplicating the 30p frames or chopping the 60p?"

It really depends on the content that is in 30p and your preference for what it looks like when it's converted up to 60p. It may look fine to you, or it may come across choppy. Best idea is to take a clip and test it out at 60p (rendering out to what will be your final delivery format) and see if you find it acceptable. Also, as I mentioned before, will there be any physical disc output? Because DVD absolutely does not do 60p and Blu-ray can only do 60p in 720 (though for both formats you can interlace it to 60i and keep the motion at the expense of resolved detail).

[Finn Haverkamp] "In terms of resolution, if I publish the thing in 4K, wouldn't I have to upscale the 1080p (and pixelate the clips)?"

Yes you would, and there are various ways you can upscale that may not be as bad. I am currently in the process of pulling clips from my demo reel that I think will be a part of it for the next year or two (at least) and doing tests on upscaling them for an eventual 4K render/upload of my reel. I am using Instant4K from Red Giant and having good results with the settings I have tested.

I would say if you have more material in 4K than in 1080, that you could think about whether you want to master in 4K. Otherwise, if the inverse is true, I think 1080 would be better suited.

Return to posts index

Finn HaverkampRe: Sequences with 1080p 60 fps and 4K 30 fps
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 4:35:26 am

Thanks for the advice. So I think I'm going to make the sequence at 1080p at 30fps. I just tried. But when I drag a 4K clip into the sequence, it doesn't shrink to fit. Is this just for the previewing? Will it shrink when it's exported? When editing the sequence, I can right-click the 4K clip and "Set to Frame Size" or "Scale to Frame Size", but I think that's just visual for the preview.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2016 at 1:39:21 pm

[Finn Haverkamp] "When editing the sequence, I can right-click the 4K clip and "Set to Frame Size" or "Scale to Frame Size", but I think that's just visual for the preview."

That's how you scale it, and it is not just for viewing, it will reflect in your rendering as well. If you want it to happen automatically, then go to your Premiere preferences menu option under General will be a checkbox for "Default scale to frame size". If you check that and then click "Ok", then Premiere will automatically downscale your 4K to show the full clip in your 1080 sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]