ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael TrentonPremiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 6:52:49 pm

Premiere Pro CC2015
Media Encoder CC2015.2
Windows 8.1 Pro

Hi there!
I've been doing some computer screen recording in MotionJPEG lately for a project I'm working on. The software I've been using for recording is Bandicam.
Basically what happens is once I try to edit the footage in Premiere the audio that's being played back belongs to a completely different part of the clip I'm playing back. There seems to be no order to the madness either. At first I thought there must be a problem with the recorded files, but when I play back the files in Windows Media Player and in Final Cut Pro 7 on my old Mac the audio is played back properly so the files themselves are fine.

So then I thought Premiere must have some sort of problem with MotionJPEG so I decided to transcode my media into DNxHD instead, but once I imported the converted files into Premiere the issue remained exactly the same. Audio not matching the video at all.
So then I gave the trusty old Apple Compressor on my old Macbook Pro a go converting the MotionJPEG files to ProRes and this worked perfectly! Audio plays back in perfect sync as it should when editing in Premiere.
Also, afterwards I tried converting the files to DNxHD again, this time using Sorenson Squeeze and again those files were perfectly in sync when editing in Premiere.

So I guess my question is whether this inability to handle MotionJPEG a known issue with Premiere Pro and Media Encoder? And is there a way to work around it so I don't have to convert all my 2.7 terabytes of files through 3rd party software?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 11:02:34 am

Could it be that Bandicam records with a variable bit rate? Because that will cause audio sync issues.

Return to posts index

Michael TrentonRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 8:54:34 pm

I'll look into it and see if that is the case that Bandicam is recording with variable bitrate, but it's not just that the audio is out of sync it's a matter of Premiere playing back audio from a completely different part of the clip, So let's say if I've dropped a 30 minute clip into my timeline and play back the beginning then the audio that Premiere plays back is from the end of the clip or some other random part of the clip.

And since both Apple Compressor and Sorenson Squeeze are capable of handling and converting the footage correctly it's still weird that Adobe can't even if a variable bitrate should somehow be the cause of this.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:43:07 pm

I mistyped. I meant variable frame rate.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:56:28 pm

Bandicam can be set to record a fixed frame rate.

I've used it as well, including to capture and convert a long series of clips from a security system that required a proprietary player, to be fed in as roll-ins for a conference, and never had that happen.

I have, though, struggled with variable frame rates from Wirecast, as have the clients who had me trying to edit/repurpose the recordings. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

Return to posts index

Michael TrentonRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 6:56:20 am

Yes Bandicam was indeed set to record at a fixed framerate so I don't expect that to be the issue here, particularly not when both Final Cut Pro 7, Compressor and Squeeze were all able to handle the footage.

I think the really weird thing is that even when I converted the footage to DNxHD through Media Encoder then Premiere was still not able to play back the correct sound. So even when I put a converted DNxHD clip in the timeline, unlinked the audio and video and manually synced up a part of the audio with the clip then Premiere would still not allow that part of the audio to 'remain' there, but rather play back some different part of the audio instead (hope that explanation made sense).
So to me it seems the problems Premiere is having is with the audio. Premiere seems to just play back random parts of the audio. What really baffles me this can still happen even after converting to DNxHD (and again, converting the same clip to ProRes through Compressor or DNxHD through Squeeze - no problems whatsoever).

It would be interesting to know is whether Adobe in general isn't capable of editing and converting MotionJPEG correctly or whether Adobe only has a problem with the MotionJPEG coming out of Bandicam. I think I'll do a test on this by exporting some MotionJPEG from a different program and see how Premiere handles that.

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Premiere Pro/Media Encoder can't handle MotionJPEG?
by on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:50:05 am

If you want to use mjpeg you need to install the codec.
Google: Morgan mjepg.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]