ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Attribute Merged clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin ErardAttribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 12:44:32 pm
Last Edited By Robin Erard on Jul 26, 2016 at 12:58:16 pm

Hello,

My assistant editor synced original material (proves 4444 - 4k) with sound (via merged clip function). But I prefer to edit with HD version (proxies Prores 422), so I relinked clips with HD proxy into premiere. Everything works fine, except the attributes of merged clips are still in 4K (The HD appears in the middle of the screen surrounded by blacks borders). Is there a way to reset merged clip attributes (size) ?

Best

Robin

réalisateur, scénariste, monteur, étalonneur
http://www.robinerard.ch

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Attribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 1:08:42 pm

Is your sequence still 4K?

Return to posts index

Robin ErardRe: Attribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 2:04:42 pm

I changed the preferences of sequence into HD. There, it works. But my merged clips into bins are still in 4k (4K letterbox with HD in the middle).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2016 at 2:06:55 pm

This is what I posted on adobe forum :

Hello,

I'm editor on a feature film (sorry for my english, I normally speak french). My first assistant editor synced all material (4k prores 4444) with merged clip function (video+audio). But for practical reasons we decided to edit with HD prores 422. So we relinked all material with HD material (same name, TC, duration,). And we have a bug :

Everything is on sync, no problem with that, but merged clips attributes stay in 4K even if the material display in them is HD. When I display a merged clip, it appears in my viewer (left windows), surrounded by black border (HD with 4k letterbox around it). My assistant doesn't know how to solve that.

If I change the preferences of a sequence with merged clips inside, it works, I can display merged clip in HD. But not for merged clip into bins. And of course if I do a "match frame" from the sequence, the viewer displays a HD letterbox into a 4k container. It's possible to work like this, but it's not confortable at all for a feature.

Of course I already checked that merged clips are pointing to HD material, I can see that when I clic on "Display in Finder". So it's just a merged clip attributes problem.

Someone on "Adobe Chat" said me we have to redo all sync, and create new merged clips... It's impossible, this sync job lasts for 3 weeks (2050 clips...), so we don't want to loose 3 weeks of work for a simple "attributes clip" problem. Maybe it's a simple thing do change into code. In FCP7 it worked, and I'm sure Adobe has a lot of experience for that.

Best

Robin Erard

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Attribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 2:32:07 pm

[Robin Erard] "Someone on "Adobe Chat" said me we have to redo all sync, and create new merged clips... It's impossible, this sync job lasts for 3 weeks (2050 clips...), so we don't want to loose 3 weeks of work for a simple "attributes clip" problem. Maybe it's a simple thing do change into code. In FCP7 it worked, and I'm sure Adobe has a lot of experience for that."

I've never used merged clips (because I read about a lot of problems they can create), but if your camera was recording scratch audio you use the built in sync-by-waveform feature in PPro to sync all your audio and video and turn it into a multicam clip. This is how I deal with dual system sound even if I only have one camera. By letting PPro do it you could probably re-sync everything in a day or two.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2016 at 2:40:32 pm

Saddly, this isn't the case. The camera hasn't good audio record for editing.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Attribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 3:25:20 pm

[Robin Erard] "Saddly, this isn't the case. The camera hasn't good audio record for editing.
"

The camera audio isn't needed for editing, it's just needed for syncing. Using the multicam feature PPro can sync your good audio to your video much faster than someone could do by hand.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:05:07 pm

Thank's I will check if it's possible with my assistant but I'm afraid that it will take a long time he told me he spent more time to organize the material than to sync the material.

Best

Robin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Attribute Merged clip
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:20:11 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:36:07 pm

Now, you said you PREFERRED to work with HD proxies and not 4K. But this is the cause of all the grief. Fortunately, you've already indicated you won't die if you cut in 4K.

It seems to me that if you want to get on with the job, you cut in 4K and forget about proxies.

Or you can 1) waste time figuring out how to get this to work or 2) waste time re-doing a lot of work. This sounds like a problem to solve AFTER the job is done, not during the job.

Not to mention that it's always wise to make proxies the same dimensions as the originals.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:02:02 pm

Hello,

This is not the point of my question. I know I can edit in 4K, but if we finally changed for HD it's because very concrete reasons. What you propose is very kind, but not usefull to solve the real problem I have.

Best

Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]