ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to create an "Ingest Preset" for copying and creating proxies

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
How to create an "Ingest Preset" for copying and creating proxies
on Jul 25, 2016 at 10:06:22 pm

I want to create an ingest preset that I can load into the Ingest settings of a Premiere Pro project, but the instructions on Adobe's site are very vague. I've followed the steps and made a preset using DNxHD codec, but when I load it into Premiere Pro it changes the dropdown from Copy and create Proxies, to only Copy. I see where the presets for Copy and Create Proxies are all named "Copy & (Name of codec)", for example.

I also get an error saying that the codec I'm trying to use is for encoding only. So, basically, I'm kind of lost here. I just want to create an ingest preset that uses DNxHD...etc. instead of GoPro Cineform to create my proxies. Or is the GoPro codec better for editing with than the DNxHD codec?

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: How to create an "Ingest Preset" for copying and creating proxies
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:11:40 am

In the Project Settings there is an option for ingest settings.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 26, 2016 at 3:17:58 pm

The ingest preset create function appears to be in Media Encoder. I think you call the created presets in Pr. Maybe you can create them in both or they can be created for one off scenarios in Pr and multiple ingest in Encoder. There are some very interesting new capabilities of the ingest feature.
By the way:
Just got the new Larry Jordan web training on the new features of Premiere, which includes new features of Media Encoder, Lumetri and Audition as well. Cost me $24 or so, runs just under 50 minutes and I watched it last night. It's an excellent overview of all these various new features. You can download the file to your device so you can watch it anywhere without internet connectivity. Larry has always known how to get right to the point of the needs of editors. Highly recommended. I have no financial interest in the product.

Al

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 28, 2016 at 1:45:47 pm

Perhaps I didn't make my request clear enough. I know the steps to supposedly create ingest presets. What I'm saying is they're not accepted as ingest presets, but rather "encode" presets which can't be used, no matter which codec I choose. I get this error message:

The included ingest presets don't show up in AME. There are 3 gopro cineform presets but in AME they're not the same as the ingest presets. None of the presets I've chosen so far (I've tried 3 of them) will work, they're all "encode" presets, not "ingest" presets. So, HOW DO I CREATE AN INGEST PRESET!!???!!!

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:17:48 pm

You know what, if someone can tell me (yes, I've googled it, no, I don't get a satisfactory reply) how to add a watermark to an existing ingest preset I'll be good. I figured out how to create ingest presets but they're still too heavy for my system. I read that the cineform gopro preset is the way to go, but I just want to add a watermark to it, but they don't show up in AME's preset list, as I mentioned above.

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Jul 29, 2016 at 1:22:50 am

Just watch the video I link to below. It will show you everything you need to know about the proxy workflow, including adding watermarks. Happy viewing. :-)

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 29, 2016 at 1:35:03 am

Thanks, Robert, but I watched that yesterday. The how-to part starts at 13:18. This is precisely what I was talking about when I say I followed all the steps. Anyway, I picked one of the cineform gopro codecs and added a watermark and saved it. Haven't used it yet. Too disgusted with how laggy my PC has gotten.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 29, 2016 at 1:50:50 am

Well, I used it, it won't accept it because it is an encode preset, grrrrr.... tried another one, a DNxHD SQ preset, that worked, but the watermark is not being applied....grrrr....

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Jul 29, 2016 at 1:56:09 am

[Duke Sweden] "but I watched that yesterday"
Oops, sorry for flogging a dead horse.

[Duke Sweden] "Too disgusted with how laggy my PC has gotten."
Well, I guess that's a different kettle of fish. :-)

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 29, 2016 at 2:40:51 am

I've only made one preset that shows the watermark, but the files are still too heavy to work with. I think I need to just step away for a bit.

Return to posts index

kiki giangoulas
on Jan 21, 2017 at 5:20:00 pm

Hello there,

The Ingest Preset is A Preset containing/pointing to/based on a Media Encoder Preset. I had same confusion with you.

steps needed:

1. Note your footage Dimensions / Ratio and Launch Media Encoder, from there:
2. Create A Normal Media Encoder Preset (Ctrl+N) of your choice (H264, MFX etc.) with same Resolution or Same Ratio , and framerate.
3. Name it Your_Camera_Type_Proxy (just end with the word Proxy, you will use it later)
4. Create an Ingest Preset (Ctrl+Alt+N) Choose Name Your_Camera_Type_Proxy
5. If you do all steps as written here the last preset will be selected, otherwise choose it with ingest dialog.
6. Add/Browse either a copy or transcode path. Premiere will ask you again dor export location anyway.
7. Click ok
8. Go to Preset Browser, type Proxy in the Search box, both your Ingest and Normal Preset will appear.
9. Right Click the Ingest Preset and Select Export Presets.
10. save the .epr file ie. in Desktop
11. In Premiere Ingest Dialog, click add preset and point to .epr file in Desktop.
12. Done

You can also select it as a default ingest premiere within Project Settings in Adobe Premiere.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 21, 2017 at 6:50:40 pm

Thanks, kiki, but this is OLD news. My current problem is figuring out why my masking tool stopped working in Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

kiki giangoulas
on Jan 21, 2017 at 7:37:03 pm

i always reply even to old posts, when they are not resolved, so that future google visitors can find the solution.

stopped working should be more specific in order to troubleshoot.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 21, 2017 at 10:31:04 pm

Premiere Pro cc 2017 was working fine up until 2 days ago. Suddenly the Opacity masking tool (the one that looks like the pen tool) stopped working. Whereas it used to be white with black details, it's now black with white details (sort of like a negative of itself) and you can click all day on your video file and nothing happens. Same with the masking effect on all of the effects. Rarely, it will draw a mask but then you can't manipulate it because the only tool that you get is the hand tool. You can't rotate, move around the bezier points, nothing. Since just about everything I do is green screen it's rendered Premiere Pro useless to me.

btw, the pen tool in the tools palette also does NOTHING now.

Return to posts index

kiki giangoulas
on Jan 22, 2017 at 6:31:38 am

sounds very strange, i would start like this:

1. check tool in a new project, or with a project that worked in the past, or a new sequence.

2. check if any effects applied to clip or adjustment layers interfere.

3. turn gpu acceleration on/off, it had and still has many weird issues.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 22, 2017 at 12:25:32 pm

1. Done that already. Didn't work
2. Tried it on a fresh clip with no effects or color correction. Didn't work
3. That seems to have done the trick. I'll have to try with GPU turned on again to make sure. Other oddity is eyedropper tool is picking colors about an inch away from where I'm pointing it. I read where in dual monitor setups you have to have the effects panel and program monitor on the same monitor for the eyedropper to work properly but I've had this 2 monitor setup for over 3 years and never had a problem until this week.

Also, these tools in AE are still working fine, so it's not my computer as I originally thought.

Thanks for taking the time to help. VERY much appreciated!

Return to posts index

kiki giangoulas
on Jan 22, 2017 at 1:17:17 pm

Glad it helped.

If indeed your issue is/was GPU/CUDA related you may pinpoint it by checking at time of problem occurrence:

A1. Change/Update in GPU drivers (~or roll back to previous week)
A2. Change/Update in Premiere Version. ("~")

Many times, the time consuming process of downloading many drivers (either previous Sub version ie. 395.75 and not 395.78 or Previous Version ie. 394.83 not 395.78), may help to get a stable platform, at least for your current workflow.

A good practice is to have auto-updating of drivers, software and OS disabled. That can raise your chances of isolating update related issues.

Have no clue about the picker, given that it worked till previous week (together with masks) i would try:

B1. disable GPU accelerations, or steps A1, A2
B2. make sure both my monitors run at the same Resolution.

People running OSX and Dual Monitor Setups with different resolutions have reported such issues. Usually the offset is the difference in resolution, which can be measurable with a screenshot and Photoshop Ruler in Pixels.

Definitely a silly coding fault, but they happen, often. So:

B3. Set both your monitors in the same resolution (even if you have to lower one's) to see whether problem persists, if the resolution change is not that much (ie. 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080, which is about a vertical inch on a 24 monitor) and solves the problem, keep it.

And after doing all this you could have a guide of what to do and keep working till the problem is solved.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:09:05 pm

Update: Although drawing masks is now a bit smoother, I can't select the bezier points on the left side of the mask. On the right side I get the proper tool to either move the point, or create another point. But on the left side of the mask all I get is the hand tool. GRRRRRRR......

And, again, in After Effects both the pen tool and the eyedropper work flawlessly so it's not my dual monitor setup or graphics drivers. btw, this ain't no workstation, it's an off the shelf HP from Best Buy with Intel graphics card hardwired in. I haven't updated the graphics drivers but the last time I checked there were no updates, for anything, on this PC.

Also, since we've never corresponded before, I'm an amateur, I make videos for my own amusement, I don't have clients, so it's not life or death but it is ANNOYING!!!

Return to posts index

Mark Kelly
on Mar 13, 2017 at 1:58:19 pm

In Media Encoder right click on a Preset and choose Create Ingest Preset...

That's it.
No idea why these posts are soooo long, and so vague.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Mar 13, 2017 at 2:49:47 pm

Probably because you didn't read them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]