ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

extreme color correction

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaylinn Crowlextreme color correction
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 8:28:23 pm

I have been given some neon orange footage - it looks like it was filmed through orange cellophane. I'm editing with CCPremierePro, using lumetri color, color balance, and fast color corrector. Nothing looks quite right. What can I do to even things out and try to rescue the footage?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:45:20 pm

How about posting a screenshot?

Return to posts index

Kaylinn CrowlRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:54:33 pm

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 11:02:35 pm

Have you tried to white balance off the light coming from the window behind her right shoulder, and pushing the sliders in lumetri towards blue and green?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2016 at 11:09:20 pm

On second thought never mind. I just tried and that orange/yellow just won't let go. But don't get discouraged. I'm just a moron. I'm sure someone who does color correction for a living will be along to help soon.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 12:10:13 am

Guess it depends on the color corrector. I was able to do this with COLORISTA 2, by pushing the sliders towards the blue/green. The regular 3-way did NOT handle this same correction well. Might also give RESOLVE a whirl at this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:06:31 am

I used Lumetri (with the new HSL feature). I actually had it close to your result for a moment, but then suddenly the yellows took over again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:48:13 pm

The shot looks like the camera was white balanced for daylight but shot under incandescents. I'm surprised no color correction tool has a couple of "dumb photographer" presets: Incandescent To Daylight and Daylight To Incandescent.

This can't be the first time an editor has had to deal with lousy white balancing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:16:59 pm

I went back and did it again. Only used lumetri after adding a great input LUT for G7's called G7 to BMCC. It works great on my G7 footage and it did a great job here, muting all the colors and making it easier to color correct.
Before:

After:

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:26:33 pm

btw, you can get the LUT here. It's free:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PanasonicG7/comments/3xyvdk/g7_cined_to_bm4k_lut_b...

Also wanted to point out I didn't do all I could to color correct in the sample above. There's still a lot of room to improve the final result, i.e. curves, etc.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 4:41:33 pm

The highlights look really rough so a simple LUT won't fix this. One would need to figure out how much the footage can be corrected without introducing more weird colors. Also if this would be some super serious job then one might do an overall correction and use secondaries to finesse small details.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 5:36:09 pm

Yeah I really should have just stayed out of this (not being sarcastic). Sometimes I try too hard to be helpful when I should just shut up.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 6:37:30 pm

I can get it to look similar to the second, but I can't seem to really bring it back to life after that point :/ The person who gave me footage said it looked fine on the back of the camera, but as soon as I brought it into premiere it looked that bright orange color.
Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 7:37:38 pm

haha, I wish! I haven't found any sort of magical preset... but I'll keep searching! Thank you!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 6:38:13 pm

I'll look into all that! Thank you so much! That definitely looks much nicer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:17:32 pm

haha, I've tried white balancing off of everything from buttons to teeth!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 4:08:01 pm

Well, at least you white balance. That shot wasn't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: extreme color correction
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 6:37:54 pm

ya, i used fast color corrector, clicked white balance eye dropper on hands, and got close.

The problem is the table is reflecting orange spill back on to the actor. You're gonna need some delicate secondaries on this one!!

the bad thing about changing hue by 3 way color correctors is posterization. It just won't work that way in real life with 8 bit video.

You actually will need to key with this one.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 6:40:01 pm

I'll go in and keep working! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]