ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Background layer disappears during cross-dissolves

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LeonardBackground layer disappears during cross-dissolves
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:25:45 pm

So I'm editing a spot in CC 2014 that switches between showing a lot of still photos and videos, with an animated background layer beneath them and cross-dissolves between them. When it switches between photos and videos (or vice-versa), the background layer completely disappears until the transition finishes, and then it pops up again all at once. The problem never happens when switching between two photos.

I've figured out that I can get around this by nesting a chunk of the background layer with the photo before adding the transition, but surely there is a better way. Anyone have any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Background layer disappears during cross-dissolves
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:33:16 pm

You should not have to do that, though. I presume you have already zoomed in and made sure your media ends are tucked tight.

Next thing I would do is save, close the project, and clear all cache files. See if that corrects it.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Adam LeonardRe: Background layer disappears during cross-dissolves
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:23:38 pm

Thanks, but that didn't do it.

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Background layer disappears during cross-dissolves
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:30:19 pm

You are removing the dissolves inside the nested layers and applying them to the new single layer, correct?

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:58:43 pm

What I'm doing in my work-around is nesting together a series of photos, with dissolves between them (no problems with them) but not on the end, and then dissolving between the nested layer and the video.

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Background layer disappears during cross-dissolves
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 9:38:30 pm

Hi Adam,

Whenever you are dissolving with more than one layer, you should always nest or you will see this kind of issue. This is the same with all layer based software.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:54:30 pm

Actually, I'm only dissolving the one layer and the other one is just left there in the background. Also, I've actually been doing the same project with only slight differences in Avid for years and didn't have this problem. I tried nesting the entire upper layer to the background layer and it still happened.

What I've been doing is nesting the sets of photos between each video clip to the background and then putting a cross-dissolve between the nested layer and the video layer (the latter of which doesn't show the background).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2016 at 4:24:42 pm

A couple more details that might possibly help:

• The whole thing was originally made in Avid 6, exported as an AAF, and then pulled into Premiere. Premiere hates Avid's way of doing alpha-channeled footage (the clips appear on the Premiere timeline but don't work at all), and so I had to replace them all by re-importing the photos and putting them back on the timeline anew. Since the video footage takes up the whole screen and has no alpha matte, I don't need to do that with it. But there was one bit of video footage that I pulled in separately, and the disappearing background problem still happened, so I don't think the problem has much to do with this.

• The problem still happens between a photo that's the size of the entire screen and a photo with an alpha channel, not just between video like that and photos with alpha channels.

• I have reason to think that my video drivers might not be up to the task of running Premiere CC. The it's an NVIDIA Quadro running version 8.17.12.7589. I tried updating the software once and Avid quit working, so we had to switch back to the older version. We're about to switch to a new computer entirely. But the problem with the background disappearing during transitions still happens when I've exported the video, so I don't think it has to do with this.

• Return to posts index

by on Jul 20, 2016 at 5:01:35 pm

Weirdness bonus- I just made an edit (without the nesting work-around) where the problem should have occurred, and it didn't happen. I went back and tried redoing older edits that had the problem, and it still had them. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the cuts that had the problem and the ones that did not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]