ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

When 23.976 is not 23.976 even when it is?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KuzelickiWhen 23.976 is not 23.976 even when it is?
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:32:59 am

Hi,

I'm currently working on a high-profile feature (think 'thunder' and 'hammer') doing stunt-previz for the action sequences. Coming across a strange problem that someone may be able to help with?

We shoot with two cameras, both with (seemingly) identical settings at 23.976 fps. To make a sequence in PPro, I drag a clip over the Sequence icon so it creates a timeline at the same settings as the footage - always works fine. Until recently!

Now, some clips seem to be behaving as if they have 'double frames' - that is, when I advance a frame in the timeline, I have to hit the arrow key twice before I get to a different frame. The result in realtime looks a little like when footage is shot at a faster shutter speed. When I check the properties of the clip it will say 23.976, same with the sequence, and same with all the other clips in the timeline and in the Project window - both the 'double frame' ones and the normal 'single frame' ones. They all seem to be exactly the same... but they're not?

Weirdly, when I drag one of the 'double frame' clips over the Sequence icon to create a sequence from it, it will now play normally (i.e. a single frame at a time). If I bring over all the other clips to this new timeline though, they will now play abnormally - all 'stuttery'.

Have tried the above process in After Effects with the same results. And have even rendered out image sequences of the offending clips at 23.976 and they still behave like 'double frames' in the original timeline but as 'single frames' in their own timeline. To me, that makes no sense at all.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: When 23.976 is not 23.976 even when it is?
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:08:25 pm

Could the problem clips be from the same camera? I suspect a mistake in the frame rate setting. The description sounds like a 23.976 frame rate spread across 59.94 fps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]