ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Relink wacky timecode

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darin MorashRelink wacky timecode
by on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:48:02 am

I'm working on a television series sharing files with another editor. Both of us are on the latest version of premiere. The footage we are working with is all shot with a sony ex1. I copy the footage from the camera to my computer, (just a straight copy from the card too my computer), then send the footage to another editor who then edits the story. He then sends me a premiere project file, which then I relink do the finishing touches and then export. Sometimes I get wierd timecode on one or two files, where the timecode is no where near what he edited. Most of the time I will get a bunch of crossed out lines on my timeline. I will import the shot manually and the starting timecode is different than what he has even though the files are identical. Nothing had been renamed. Any thoughts what is causing this? It's happened on the last 3 versions of premiere so I don't think it's to do with the latest update. Thanks

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Relink wacky timecode
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 9:08:03 am

When working with a lot of clips, sometimes editors will set the starting timecode to an offset value that represents the section of the video they'll be working with. This isn't done to the video, it's done in premiere. It keeps a record of this. Crossed out lines means that perhaps the files didn't import properly, so relinking fixes the problem with the video. Maybe the name of the clip has changed or something about the clip has been altered\linked differently. Either way, a relink should fix it. When you replace it completely, you rip out anything the other editor has done. I've had the problem with video when the two copies of the shot are encoded in a similar format with slightly different settings. Maybe your other editor has their own compressed version of the video or transcoded it for use for whatever reason.

In multi-editor workflows, I've often found that working in the same OS is only part of the needs to be met. Working from the same set of files is another. I use DISK IMAGES to store the file data. These carry common formats and can be used easily. When formatted properly, the OS isn't a limitation. Disk Images with the original file data can be split and burned to optical media for later re-use. You can also catalogue the contents for searching. It makes everything easier to work with the same set of files in the same folder structure.
If you are within the same compound or campus, a shared NAS will also allow you to mount the disk image so file linkage is the same across the systems (URLS are common structure), and it will grab the files from the same link. With a fast fiber channel connection, you'll never want for speed. Just my experience there... Old ways kept everybody on top of the work and there was a ton of it to go around. New ways are cutting down how many are needed, but are making it a little more complex in other ways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]