ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Cake Monster

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris EllingworthCake Monster
by on Jul 17, 2016 at 7:09:27 pm

(CS6) Hi, I have a guy waving 3 pairs of arms about and each arm has its own separate layer with transparency obviously. I'd like to take these arms and turn them into part of a "cake monster" for a project that I'm doing. It doesn't need to be highly professional. I have After Effects but I'm wondering if I can do this all in PP. I am happy to find the videos on how to do things myself, I just need some pointers in the right directions as to how I could best go about this.
I'd like to warp the moving arm shapes into more tentacle looking shapes and put a texture on the moving shapes so I can't see the pixels for the arms.
The source of this texture may just be a mishmash of cake image that I put together or is there a more "natural" way to get a texture that looks like part of that cake image? Think of a jam and cream scone that has sprouted tentacles. How could I best represent the scone in those tentacles? I need the pixels of the tentacles to move fairly "naturally".

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cake Monster
by on Jul 17, 2016 at 11:22:18 pm

If I read your post correctly, you have shot this in parts. That, for people who do effects for a living, is not a problem. They have already figured out what they need out of the images they shoot. They already know that the images they shoot will work with the images they have previously shot because they either have done this sort of thing before, or they have done test shoots to demonstrate they can do it.

THEY KNOW. THEY DON'T TAKE CHANCES.

Have you done this? If you have not, you only have yourself to blame for the success or failure for the work you have already done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris EllingworthRe: Cake Monster
by on Jul 17, 2016 at 11:34:39 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "THEY KNOW. THEY DON'T TAKE CHANCES.

Have you done this? If you have not, you only have yourself to blame for the success or failure for the work you have already done."

I've puppet warped the individual arms frame by frame in PS to move in a particular way and this looks great. This doesn't need to be very professional, it's going to be quite cartoony. Now through my creative process I've come across this idea that I'd like to see if I can make work. I just want to black out the shapes, warp them a little so they don't look so much like arms and put a different texture on them. I'm not looking for step by step instructions, I'm just looking for some PP or AE tools / effects that I can research tutorials on to see if they will work or not.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Cake Monster
by on Jul 17, 2016 at 11:43:11 pm

I have an idea of how you could go about it but I'm afraid Dave might yell at me ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2016 at 11:52:29 pm

[Duke Sweden] "I have an idea of how you could go about it but I'm afraid Dave might yell at me ;-)"
You're teasing me now Duke. I may just take it into AE and use the reshape effect and make a morph between the arms and the tentacles. It's for an internet show and people get creative for the fun of it so no stress if you're idea is just a stab in the dark.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2016 at 12:00:57 am

Well, I don't know how much movement will be involved with your cake monster, but what I would do is shoot about a minute of myself waving my arms about, make 3 copies (for 6 arms), lay them one on top of another and slide the two copies down so that you can see all six arms, then put my slice of cake over the body. Serve with coffee and other party treats ;-)

Uh oh, here comes Dave. Run!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2016 at 12:02:47 am

I keep forgetting how to edit my own posts here. I wanted to add, take the one video clip and cut it into 3, this way the arm movements won't all match. Or shoot 3 clips, whichever is easier for you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cake Monster
by on Jul 18, 2016 at 3:36:58 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 18, 2016 at 3:46:05 am

This weekend, I took the grandkids to see Steven Speilburg's "The BFG"; a fine story in itself, brought to life by special effects. I won't soon forget the images.

Whenever I hear or read of an individual attempting complicated special effects using Adobe software, I think of such movies. I think of the effort it took to achieve such a high degree of realism. Mostly I think, "How the hell did they do that?"

I think many people assume it's easy, particularly those who are new to doing such things. When they ask how to pull off things that took Spielburg years of professional man-hours and state-of-the-art hardware/software, I get a little cranky. I feel they denigrate the high degree of expertise required to achieve such images. They are, indeed, jaw-dropping.

It may be a knee-jerk reaction, but I can't help but think many people are thinking, "I've got a camera, I've got Adobe software, I've got the WORLD!" Sorry, but it's not that easy. Not by a long shot.

I think questions such as the OP's are a slap in the face to the individuals who have the intelligence, the high degree of ingenuity and the profound creativity to do such things and make us believe what we see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2016 at 4:43:45 am

[Dave LaRonde] "This weekend, I took the grandkids to see Steven Speilburg's "The BFG"; a fine story in itself, brought to life by special effects. I won't soon forget the images.

Whenever I hear or read of an individual attempting complicated special effects using Adobe software, I think of such movies. I think of the effort it took to achieve such a high degree of realism. Mostly I think, "How the hell did they do that?"

I think many people assume it's easy, particularly those who are new to doing such things. When they ask how to pull off things that took Spielburg years of professional man-hours and state-of-the-art hardware/software, I get a little cranky. I feel they denigrate the high degree of expertise required to achieve such images. They are, indeed, jaw-dropping.

It may be a knee-jerk reaction, but I can't help but think many people are thinking, "I've got a camera, I've got Adobe software, I've got the WORLD!" Sorry, but it's not that easy. Not by a long shot.

I think questions such as the OP's are a slap in the face to the individuals who have the intelligence, the high degree of ingenuity and the profound creativity to do such things and make us believe what we see."

1. I want to learn how to improve my skills and this is meant to be a fun step towards becoming better.
2. I mentioned that this is not meant to be professional. This will be seen by a few thousand people online, but other efforts by other people on this YouTube show are pretty basic also. It's a community creative thing.
3. I mentioned that I am just looking for general pointers at the directions I should take and I would go and find tutorial videos myself and see how much of my vision I could achieve.
4. I thought it was a place to ask questions for people who are looking to improve their skills. I have some very good skills in some areas of Adobe software and others I am just keen to learn.

I can't believe that you have become so upset at my question. I can't understand how I have upset you so much. I have asked simple questions here before and found some helpful answers. I will be happy to just make the start and finish images in Photoshop, use the reshape effect in After Effects, morph from one to the other and use After Effects puppet warp record feature and bring it back into PP and I think this will look perfectly fine. I am dumbfounded at your response. Absolutely dumbfounded.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:39:55 am

Hey, don't feel bad. He compared you to Speilberg! What is this community on youtube that gets a few thousand views? I've got some work I'd like to expose to more people.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2016 at 9:20:31 pm

[Duke Sweden] "What is this community on youtube that gets a few thousand views?"

It's a video game review show with about 7 - 8 thousand regular viewers on YouTube each weekday and another few thousand through the local (Australian) tv station's website. There are a lot of in-jokes and the content is based mainly around the host (who is hilarious) and games. They pick a 20 - 60 second piece that someone has sent in to play each day. Most of them are pretty bad but there are some really clever and well edited ones in there as well. I'm trying to raise the bar by putting in a lot of effort with this one. I've been working on it for about 3 months (I have two little ones and a full time job) and it will only be about 50 seconds or so. A LOT of work starting at 3am most days (yawn)! I'm not sure it will be what you're looking for but I may post a link here to the ep if they play mine. It may be another month or so away though.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:59:04 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Well, I don't know how much movement will be involved with your cake monster,"

Hi Duke, here is the final result. There are a lot of in-jokes here but you'll get the gist. I've put the host's head on from different footage of him. The very end animation is intentionally rough. They showed it on the show recently and it got great comments but I'm not happy with what they did to the sound and the res dropped also so here is a direct link:

Feel free to make any suggestions on improvements. Some of the roughness is fine but there are some things that I'd like some advice on. I was thinking that I maybe could have feathered his head on the scone. To tell you the truth though I had spent too long on this anyway. It was a really hard slog.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2016 at 8:15:37 pm

Well, now we know why the 60's are dead ;-)

I can't really give you any tips on what to do but I can sure give you tips on what NOT to do:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]