ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

2 years later, now that it's shot...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon2 years later, now that it's shot...
by on Jul 17, 2016 at 5:51:05 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to jump into post-production for my first professional feature film, an adventure documentary. A surfing journey, filmed from the back of a motorcycle, and later 4 horses, from the top of Alaska to the bottom of South America - 2 years of journeying, and 2 years of footage.

I once cut a 52 minute documentary for my uni degree, and I wouldn't say it was terrible (it won an award here and there), and so I learnt a few things from that, as well as my commercial work in the industry, so i'm not completely in the dark, but my question relates to:

Is there anything you'd wished you'd done whilst you were going through your footage first time around? Setting those in and out points?

Did you set tags to each clip? Did you structure bins a certain way? Any sort of weird tips?

For instance i'm going to be keeping a dictaphone close to hand whilst going through the footage, recording any memories that the footage invokes - good material for a book that i'll write down the line...

So yeah, that's the sort of advice i'm looking for. As well as how you personally manage to keep clips organised enough to be able to find and re-edit the film as it evolves....

Anyone know of any good blog posts on the topic?

I know pen and paper are going to come in handy... perhaps big spreadsheets of butcher's paper on the wall...?

Perhaps the only answer is a motherload of coffee???

Who knows?! All I know is that i've got a hell of a lot of work cut out for me, and i'd really appreciate people's opinions who have legitimate experience in cutting lots of hours of footage.

Thanks for reading, and thanks even more if you've got a moment to drop a line...

PS. I'll be using the Adobe suite for everything, unless something unforeseen crops up.

Matty Hannon

The Road to Patagonia - A two year surfing odyssey - from the top of the world to the bottom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]