ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Click Anywhere in Timeline to Move Playhead (CTI) and Scroll to Zoom

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D.j. MonopoliClick Anywhere in Timeline to Move Playhead (CTI) and Scroll to Zoom
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 10:52:25 am
Last Edited By D.j. Monopoli on Jul 15, 2016 at 10:58:58 am

So I'm a hardcore Vegas editor and have gotten to the point where I can fly through edits with it. I've been finding myself in Premiere for one reason or another more than I would like to lately which is fine. However, I've gotten so used to Vegas that editing in Premiere feels extremely clunky and it slows me down to the point where I just can't wait to get back in Vegas. I was hoping I could change some settings to make editing in it more familiar to me. So far I've changed splitting ("add edit" keyboard shortcut in Premiere which is ctrl+k by default) to the "s" key, but there's 2 other things that really bother me about Premiere:

1. Moving the playhead: In Premiere you have to left-click the time ruler to move the playhead (CTI) position whereas in Vegas you just left-click anywhere in the timeline to move it. In Vegas I naturally click on the clip I'm editing to move it and I can't seem to break that habit.

2. Scroll to zoom: Currently in Premiere mouse scrolling moves your position in the timeline and alt+scroll zooms. I would love to switch these commands so scrolling zooms and alt+scroll moves the position in the timeline.

Any ideas how to change this stuff? It would make my life 100 times easier.

Appreciate you reading and thanks in advance!

-DJ Monopoli
TeraBrite: http://YouTube.com/TeraBrite

Return to posts index

Joshua JacksonRe: Click Anywhere in Timeline to Move Playhead (CTI) and Scroll to Zoom
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 8:30:27 pm

As a long-time Vegas user, I have the same irritations.
JJ

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Click Anywhere in Timeline to Move Playhead (CTI) and Scroll to Zoom
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 9:04:42 pm

Hi D.J.
In Premiere you have to left-click the time ruler to move the playhead (CTI) position whereas in Vegas you just left-click anywhere in the timeline to move it.

I remember this irritated me a little when I moved from Avid to Final Cut Pro 1 many, many years ago. I think the reason for the difference and the adjustment I needed to make had to do with what is referred to as "mode based" editing.

In Avid you could not move a clip in the Timeline unless you were in "segment mode" so you had the freedom to click anywhere in the Timeline to move the playhead around because a clip could not accidentally be moved.

In Final Cut Pro 7 and earlier and Premiere Pro you have no constraints about being in a specific mode to move a clip, so the area where you can control the playhead has to be limited to an area where you cannot accidentally select and move clips. I hope that makes sense.

I am not familiar enough with Vegas to make the determination if it is a mode based NLE or a mode free based NLE. If it's the latter, now you now the reasoning behind why moving the playhead in mode free NLEs is guided by the Time Ruler.

I will tell you that after a while, I preferred the freedom of mode free NLEs over mode based NLEs, however, the feeling of being slightly constrained regarding access to the playhead will subside after awhile. You have to accept that one issue to fully appreciate the freedom mode free editing.

Now, if Vegas is actually mode free, it would be interesting to know how you move the playhead around without accidentally selecting and moving clips.

If this is answer is unacceptable to you, or you have ideas on how to overcome your issue, you can always make a feature request for the option you want: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

I would love to switch these commands so scrolling zooms and alt+scroll moves the position in the timeline.

Make a feature request for a new preference to swap mouse control for these functions.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]