ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Using PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew AngleUsing PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 10:17:35 pm

Hey!

I'm editing a documentary in Premiere. I acquired some files from one of the subjects. They seem to be DVD rips that are PAL.

Specs:
MPEG-2 Video, AC3, 48000Hz

The file plays fine in QT and VLC. When I try and convert this file to anything else the audio is always out of sync.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Using PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 10:45:46 pm

Ask for the original disk.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Drew AngleRe: Using PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project
by on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:53:30 pm

I can look into this. What would be the benefit of having the original PAL-DVD over the file I currently have?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 10:47:30 pm

You need to do a frame rate CONVERSION. That's the process where the 25 frames / sec of European nations is spread properly across the 29.97 frames / sec of the USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan and other countries.

It sounds like PP's CONFORMING the frame rate -- it's simply changing the 25 frame rate to 29.97, which means the video runs a little faster. It's no surprise the audio's longer.

You need something like Twixtor or Apple Compressor to do frame rate conversion.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:55:17 pm

Great – thank you, yes this is very helpful! Makes a lot of sense.

Why is it better to go towards 29.97fps over an NTSC 24 (or 23.97)?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using PAL MPEG-2 in NTSC Project
by on Jul 12, 2016 at 8:21:14 pm

Since you didn't say, I assumed you were cutting at 29.97.

But to answer your question, it's also easier to to convert from 25 to 29.97 than to 23.976. The motion calculations that take place during conversion come at pretty regular intervals. But when going from 25 to 23.976, you have that extra frame per second left over... how do you deal with just one frame?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2016 at 5:17:13 pm

So here's one fix that seemed to be working and I'm curious what the thoughts on this approach are:

In Adobe Premiere I select the PAL clip in its bin, right click and choose to "Interpret Footage" – I then change the frame rate from 25.000 to 23.976 (the base frame rate for my project).

If I drag this clip to the timeline and advance the audio by 12 frames it seems to play in sync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]