ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

DJI Phantom 3 - Color Grading Feedback

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al HeathDJI Phantom 3 - Color Grading Feedback
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36:15 am

Hi there, brand new to the forums and fishing for some initial colour grading feedback!

There comes a point where you can only stare at something for so long before it’s hard to tell if you're making genuine improvements or not - I’d love to hear any thoughts and opinions on the adjustments I’ve made in the video below. Ultimately I’m looking for vibrant / cinematic film, but with an universally realistic and natural feel and tone - What do you think with where I'm at so far?

DJI Phantom 3 (Standard), original RAW video is shot in D-LOG colour, 2704 x 1520p

Graded in Premiere Pro CC with Lumetri Color

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: DJI Phantom 3 - Color Grading Feedback
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 3:09:20 am

honest opinion here, so strap yourself in and prepare for constructive criticism :)

you wanted a "vibrant / cinematic film, but with an universally realistic and natural feel and tone"
those 2 statements are at odds. Cinematic is usually tinted or off-white. Never calibrated to, let's say, a bland news broadcast color palette.

bumping up saturation to 100% in any NLE will bring an unnatural neon glow that burns all the similar tones into one glowy mush. There are many ways to bring out color than pure saturation, such as contrast, tints, white balance, luma mattes etc.. The leave color effect is one good example, others; channel mixing, or even variations of hue of individual colors, or even hints of technicolor.

I recommend a little more experimentation, and don't rely 100% on lumetri. It doesn't have 10% of what's out there.

Return to posts index

Al HeathRe: DJI Phantom 3 - Color Grading Feedback
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:00:37 pm

Not at all, thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated, I'll keep playing around

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]