ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Black sidebars are added when I export my file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jude McLeanBlack sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 4, 2016 at 10:17:46 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere, so I do apologise if you perceive my question to be simple-minded in some way.

As the subject explains, black boxes appear in my exported file and I can't seem to figure out why this may be happening. I have played around with the format, preset and aspect settings and none seem to resolve the issue. The sequence content consists mainly of images if that is helpful.

If anyone could offer some guidance that would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 1:46:31 am

Don't worry. You will NEVER be as simple minded as me, and these guys help me all the time. What is the aspect ratio of your original file, and what codec and/or format are you exporting to? Some formats will change the aspect ratio. Look at the description below the format and it will say what aspect ration it's exporting at.

Return to posts index

Bram van DamRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:30:15 am

I think Duke is on the right path here. It looks like you have some issues with not matching aspect ratios. A few questions:

Do you have black bars in program monitor as well?
Or do they only show up after you export?
In which video player are you watching the exports?

A bit more information helps us a lot to narrow down your problem!

Return to posts index

Jude McLeanRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:51:19 pm

Hi,

I have since been playing around with different aspect ratios and managed to resolve the black sidebars, however now I have letterboxing instead. Neither of the black bar variations has ever been visible within PP itself, I can only observe them after exporting the file and playing it in either VLC media player or once uploaded to YT.

The goal of the project is YT, and they make it clear that unless the video has a 16:9 aspect ratio it will be formatted with black bars. For this reason, I am using a widescreen 16:9 ratio setting in PP, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Does the original document properties need to have the correct dimensions? In my mind, I assumed PP would correct or at least crop them to the required to aspect ratio/settings. Importantly, most of the files are PNG and not video clips.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 10, 2016 at 7:05:45 pm

What's the aspect ration of your .PNG files? When you create a project do you have the proper format set, out of that long list of formats? When I had my Nikon D5500 I set it to "DSLR" and it stayed that way. When I got the Panasonic G7 and started shooting 4K, at first I forgot to change the format, and it defaulted to RED Cinema, for some reason. Since it doesn't have a specific 4K editing format I have to use "Custom". If your defaulting to some format that's 4:3, then there's your problem right there.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2016 at 7:23:13 pm

Hi,

Most of my files are all still images created in illustrator and the document properties of each varies considerably, however, I have generally resized them to my liking with PP and they seem to look good from the preview. Although, obviously I'm doing something incorrect as I'm getting the black bars?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 10, 2016 at 7:52:42 pm

What are your sequence settings and what are your EXACT export settings? Take screenshots.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2016 at 8:12:51 pm

Hi,

They are as follows:

Sequence settings:

Export settings:

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2016 at 10:59:47 am

Anyone?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:50:13 pm

Any pointers would be appreciated. Still not resolved.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2016 at 11:47:23 pm

You're using DV widescreen pixel aspect ratio when it should be square pixels.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2016 at 1:25:11 am

Also is there a reason your sequence is set to interlaced lower fields?

Return to posts index

Bram van DamRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:05:35 pm

Looks like you are using the wrong pixel aspect ratio. Try using square pixels. You have to use almost always square pixels unless your footage demands otherwise!

Bram van Dam
-------------------------
Video Editor and Media Manager
by Posh Productions in the Netherlands

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Black sidebars are added when I export my file
by on Jul 13, 2016 at 4:50:26 pm

To build on the good advice others have posted, the core of the issue is that the original Sequence Settings that you are editing with are just not correct. Seems that perhaps you started with a PAL DV Widescreen preset, then manually changed the dimensions to those of 720p (1280x720) however the pixel aspect ratio for 720p ought to be square (1.0) but you have retained the 1.2 PAR from the DV widescreen, and also 720p is always Progressive yet Lower Fields are specified. In short, the whole works is off and the results will not be good.

Here's what I would recommend - use File > New > Sequence to create a new 720p sequence. I'm assuming you may be in Europe due to the frame rate of 25fps? From the available presets, choose AVCHD > 720p > 720p25 (or choose 720p30 in the US).

Next, go back to the original sequence, and hit CTRL + A (Select All) then CTRL + C (Copy) to copy entire contents of timeline, then open the new 720p Sequence and CTRL + V (Paste) and that will place everything from first timeline into the new 720p timeline sequence that has proper settings for 720p video.

That being done will eliminate weird issues. However, any stills that are not 1280x720 may have some black around them since they may not completely fill the frame, that is normal. You can right-click said images and choose "Set to Frame" and that will size them to best fit the screen.

Now when you export, choose a 720p25 preset, such as H.264 > YouTube or whatever your needs are, and being 720p25 the output settings will match the source (Sequence) settings and no more weirdness with black edges!

Just keep in mind that the Sequence Settings are the foundation for what you are building. If the foundation is not good, the end result cannot be good either.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]