ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan FriedmanWill horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 12:51:40 am

Over the past two years I've managed to pry my fingers loose from the now-chilled corpse of FCP7. I've moved on to get comfy with both Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer. I'm not interested in a global argument of the merits of each here. My beef is specifically with Adobe Premiere Pro CC for their absolutely HORRID dissolves, where the outgoing image just pops off in the last few frames like a cheap slide projector control. I am amazed there has been so little complaining about this issue, which seems to date back to a few lonely, irate posters who voiced this same concern 3-4 years ago. This issue now persists in 2015.3. Workarounds like key-framing them out and adding bezier curves are a terrible answer. All I want is a simple, standard dissolve that is creamy smooth and delightful, like the kind we had in good old FCP7 and in Avid MC. There is so much to like about Premiere Pro, especially after leaving FCP7, but this dissolve issue is becoming a deal breaker for me. I can't believe I'm alone in this. Can I get a witness? Can we get a fix one of these days?

Dan Friedman - Appleberry Jam

Return to posts index

Mike KellandRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 2:43:19 am

If the sequence is set to 'composite in linear color' then the dissolves are pretty awful - my work around has been to turn that setting off or use bezier keyframes, which like you say is a pain. They really need to fix this issue.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Dan FriedmanRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 4:39:19 am

Hi Mike.... Yeah, I haven't found shutting off linear color to be very effective and I certainly am over all the various workaround schemes I've either thought of or heard of to accomplish such a basic, simple effect that most other NLE's do just fine. I'm still open to some sort of magic bullet that I'm somehow missing, but I fear the answer lies in the last line of your post. Yes, they really need to fix it. Anyone else frustrated by this dissolve issue?

Return to posts index

Roger AverdahlRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 10:20:11 am

>Yes, they really need to fix it. Anyone else frustrated by this dissolve issue?

I have been in direct contact with Adobe and have sent them sample projects regarding this very issue. Since they havent answered and commented this issue for years i assume that they will never fix this issue. They gave us the workaround to un-check "Composite in linear color" in the sequence settings but refuse to answer on a direct question what the disadvantages might be when un-checking that option.

Adobe refuse to comment on the issue for some reason so it seems pretty clear that they have decided to not fix it, not to comment the issue. I have sent in numerous bug reports and feature requests. I make sure to always un-check "Composite in linear color" for all sequences i work in. But that´s just a workaround...

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 9:25:50 pm

yes, I've seen this forever, why are we paying them again?

Chris

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:45:35 pm

If Adobe's not listening, perhaps we should petition Walter Murch and the Coen Brothers who seem to have influence. I'd find it hard to believe this dissolve issue had gone unnoticed by them. Short of that, it may be time for us to light our torches and storm the castle.

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 4, 2016 at 7:15:13 pm

Dan, I'm 100% with you. Dissolves are HORRIBLE indeed. I always thought I was alone with this opinion ; )

But I don't have much hope it will be fixed soon since Adobe seems to go back instead for forward with their latest release.
Best proof is the dropping of Dynamic Link to Speedgrade in the latest release.
Dynamic Link between Adobe Applications was in my opinion one of the best features
and a tremendous time and hassle saver.
But well... it's been dropped now and that pretty much sealed the faith of Speedgrade.

Return to posts index

Alex HawkinsRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:47:33 pm

I agree. Glad to hear others aren't happy with this. It would seem to be such a basic thing to fix.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 2:35:04 pm

Another "fix" is to set Mercury Engine to SOFTWARE mode just before exporting. Of course then any benefit of GPU acceleration is lost...

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2016 at 4:28:31 pm

The workaround of turning off linear color does improve the quality of dissolves. But at a price. As noted in this thread and in forums going back to 2013, all of the conjured workarounds undermine features of PP that are selling points for a professional app that now comes with a pretty hefty annual expense. Many of us are refugees from one mighty tech company that turned a deaf ear to our concerns. One would think that rectifying this seemingly basic dissolve issue would be seen by Adobe as an opportunity to express their sincere commitment to their CC subscribers.

Return to posts index

Mike KellandRe: Will horrible dissolves ever be fixed in Premiere Pro CC?
by on Jul 8, 2016 at 4:35:15 am

As an update: I've just updated to 2015.3 via a complete clean install of my system. It's fixed a whole host of things - Cross dissolves now seem to be identical with linear color enabled and disabled. I park on the last viewable frame before black and there is no difference in opacity toggling between the settings. A dissolve to black now appears to be smooth... maybe they have fixed the issue...?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]