ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

AVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon LleruaAVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:01:40 pm

Hello,

Let's say I have a large memory card full of AVCHD from different things I'm working on and I want to use only one or a handful of clips in Premiere. What's the workflow? I've been trying to find a clear answer to this question but no luck.

- From what I gather the best way to import is to copy the entire folder structure from the card to hard drive, then import the copies I need to Premiere from that hard drive copy. Is this correct?

- If so, how do I then prune the hard disk copy? After all, in this scenario I only want to use a tiny portion of what I imported.

- Is there a best practice for where to put the copy of the folder structure? What if you do several imports like this throughout a project?

- I started a quick project wrongly thinking "Import" would create a hard disk copy and then realising I'm actually working directly from the memory card. Is there a way of copying just the clips I'm already using in the project to hard drive from inside of the Premiere application? Let's say something like a "copy to project folder" option.

Massive thanks for any help and pointers.

Cheers,

Simon

Return to posts index

Yair BartalRe: AVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive
by on Jul 2, 2016 at 6:23:43 am

This very old question seems to be solved now with the latest Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 version.
Look for the "copy" option of the new proxies possibilities.

Return to posts index

Simon LleruaRe: AVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:38:11 pm

Hi Yair,

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand what you mean though, would you be able to give me a bit more detail?

I'm using CS6, so I think regardless what you're talking about might not be available to me. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to upgrade and make things easier for myself, but in the meantime I would love to hear any thoughts on how to work with individual clips.

Cheers,

Simon

Return to posts index

Yair BartalRe: AVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:49:59 pm

Hi Simon,

Since you don't have the latest CC 2015.3 version, more details will just confuse you.
With CS6 I didn't find a satisfactory solution other than copying the individual .mts files from the card AVCHD folder structure.
This is usually not recommended, but for me it worked and I did not encounter the drawbacks I've been warned off.

Cheers,

Yair

Return to posts index

Simon LleruaRe: AVCHD workflow questions - Importing individual clips to hard drive
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:58:44 pm

Gotcha, cheers. I'll keep experimenting with organising individual .mts files in that case.

For future reference, what's the the copying function in CC you referred to? Is is an individual function or is it a process with lots of steps? I'm sure if you point me to the name of it I can figure it out.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 7:07:08 pm

You have to choose the copy option out of the 4 available options for ingesting files.
Then you can choose just a few of the files on your card using the media browser and it builds an AVCHD folder structure at the destination with only those few files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]