ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

4k Scale vs Crop

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
midwestperry garner4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:56:21 pm

I'm in my second day with Premiere Pro. Formerly used Final Cut from 6 or 8 yrs ago. I also just bought the new Sony Z-150 XD cam and I'm in the testing phase. My question centers around the 4k image files opened in Premiere. With all the extra information, is there a way to somehow automatically scale or crop them for 1080 sizing? Using the original framing of the shots.

I did read some other posts using those 2 terms, but am still confused.

Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: 4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 12:11:53 pm

You can set your preferences to Scale to Frame Size. If you have a 1920x1080 timeline, this will automatically scale your 4K footage down to fit when you add it to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: 4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 12:29:41 pm

Or you can do it on a clip by clip basis.

Return to posts index

midwestperry garnerRe: 4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:15:20 pm

I appreciate the help. I'm afraid I cannot locate that setting in preferences, Daniel. When I start a new sequence, I am selecting XDCam EX 1080p (HQ). I don't know if that is the same as your reference to timeline setting, Daniel.

Duke, when I follow the instructions in the tutorial video, it does set the clip in the timeline to the original frame size. But, when I click on that clip in the timeline to view it in the source window, it is masked off...indicating some scale or cropping differences. And, both windows are set on fit. But, when I open the clip first in the source monitor it opens correctly, full frame. When I drag to the timeline, it is magnified. Then, I apply your step Duke, and it sets it to the frame.

Am I doing this all correctly? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: 4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:35:34 am

You actually have to go to your overall Premiere Pro preferences, not the sequence settings.

Return to posts index

midwestperry garnerRe: 4k Scale vs Crop
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 1:54:42 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:33:48 pm

WOAH! I did NOT embed that video into my response. S'goin' on here!?!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:35:57 pm

In fact I've never commented in this thread. Although if it works I'll be more than happy to take credit ;-) But, seriously, I didn't post that comment. Moderator! Moderator!!!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:46:17 pm

Oy, never mind. It took 47 years but the brown acid finally caught up with me...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]