ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Adding film grain to a white graphic with transparency

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody HoerigAdding film grain to a white graphic with transparency
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:19:01 pm

I am having trouble solving this fairly simple problem.

I have a white PNG logo with transparency. When I am in premiere I want to add film grain to just the white section of the logo to give it a more organic look. I have some scanned 35mm film grain that I put over footage usually, and set to overlay blending mode.

When I throw the 35mm grain over the PNG, and adjust the blending mode to overlay the grain appears everywhere BUT the white logo. You can only see the grain in the black of the image. No matter what blending mode I select it doesn't really change anything. At most I can get the grain to go over the entire image.

Is there something I am overlooking. This seems to happen no matter what program I use. I just want the grain to appear on the actual logo which is all white.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adding film grain to a white graphic with transparency
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 4:07:18 am

I'd do this in After Effects, where you have better control. For example, it's pretty easy to mask off the white part, add the grain and futz with the grain's video level so it looks right over white using a blend mode.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Adding film grain to a white graphic with transparency
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:09:51 pm

I'm guessing here, because I can't see your files, but...

I'd at least try the following:

Hold down "alt" and drag the resulting copy of the logo up two tracks. (If there's no additional track there, Premiere will generate one.)

Then load the film grain clip into the track between the logo and the logo copy.

Then go into effects > keying > track matte, applied to the film grain. Select the track with the logo coy as the key source, and set the method to "luma" and the white parts of the image should act as a key source, in 1:1 relation to the original image, and key the grain over the white parts.

Hope it works - it sounds like it should.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Adding film grain to a white graphic with transparency
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 1:39:46 pm

In addition to the previous recommendations, consider using the Noise effect if your grain image isn't working on the white areas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]