ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blaise DourosIs anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:14:47 pm

Okay. I've been using Premiere since version 3.0. Not Premiere Pro 3.0; Premiere 3.0 back in the 90s. I am not a newbie at this.

So why the $#*@ can't I figure out the audio panning in the latest couple of releases of Premiere Pro CC? WHAT CHANGED?

I'm bringing in media from a Sony FS7, which has 8 audio channels, and a Canon XA20, which has a stereo pair. I'm modifying the FS7 audio channels to only use Channel 1, which is where my lav mike is. I create a multicam sequence, which puts the FS7 audio on a Mono channel, as it should, and the XA20 audio on a stereo channel, as it should.

The FS7 audio on Channel 1 is panned to the left by default. Great, I think, let me jump into the clip mixer and pan it to the center. The clip mixer has no pan controls. That's weird. I go to the track mixer: no pan controls. I enable the pan controls on the track panel. Great! There's the panner! Which doesn't work. It snaps back to the left anytime I move it.

I've tried creating multicam sequences using Mono, Adaptive, and Stereo presets. Same result. Always to the left, can't pan it.

I can't pan this effing audio no matter what control I use; if I try to pan it in the main sequence from the multicam sequence, it just diminishes in volume and stays on the left. Is this something to do with Adaptive vs Mono vs Stereo vs 5.1 tracks? Whatever the problem is, it's a stupid problem, because it never WAS a problem before this year's release. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I welcome even derisive, sneering comments about my lack of commitment to reviewing every single line of the release notes...as long as you tell me which release note I need to read in order to understand this.

Return to posts index

John HudsonRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:55:03 pm

I remember being frustrated with this when I started in Premiere a couple of years ago. If your clip that has the audio only on the left channel is a stereo clip you could use the "Fill Right with Left" audio effects plug-in. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:59:40 pm

Yes, I've used that in the past, as well as enabling Channel 2 and using the Channel 1 audio as the source for Channel 2. Not working in this case--I tried to use the Fill R with L plugin and got nothing, even on an Adaptive track.

I mean, this isn't hard. I work in Digital Performer for music composition, and it's simple and intuitive: if it's a mono audio signal, it creates a mono track, and it's panned to the center, even in a stereo project. Why anyone would ever want a mono signal locked into a single pan position, un-editable, is completely beyond me.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:25:38 pm

Out of curiousity.....

how many channels are you mastering to in your sequence?

and how did you initially create the sequence? Maybe by dragging one of the Sony FS7 clips to the new sequence icon?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:30:57 pm

I created the multicam sequence the usual way (selecting the multicam sequence drop-down contextual menu after highlighting the clips in the order I'd like them to appear), which is then imported to a standard timeline via "New Timeline From Clip." I'm only mastering to stereo (or trying to, anyway).

Return to posts index

Phillip BrockRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 1:19:51 pm

I've had the same problem with footage that I capture with my C100. whats worked for me is right clicking on the clip in the project window, go to modify/audio channels and check the box that you would want your audio to go to. Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 1:59:36 pm

Just to add more goofiness to this thread, I can't raise or lower the volume on any tracks. Like the OP, whenever I try, the control just snaps back to whatever arbitrary volume it deems appropriate.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:56:18 pm

Yeah, that's what I've done. I would like to not have to use a stereo track, though; I would prefer Premiere handle the audio correctly!

Return to posts index

Paul WhishawRe: Is anyone else tearing their hair out over audio panning?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:11:12 pm

Similar problem.

I have a simple stereo recording from my AF100. I want to have two mono tracks panned center. Hell I'd take a single mono track with both left and right mashed together. I've been kicking this can for the last 2 hours and it simple WILL NOT do it. I've done this in the past so this has to be bug.

It's killing me!

That and the new release has killed a lot of functionaly of my old WACOM tablet. Can't get new drives so that suck as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]