ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

A7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian PetersenA7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 5:33:06 am

Hi all,

New to Premiere and coming from FCPX.

I shot a short on the A7sii in 4K SLog3 at high ISO and am really happy with the results, but I want to maintain as much image quality as I can through post since I'm dealing with a less than ideal source in terms of bit rate and color space. I'm willing to sacrifice some ease of edit and/or storage space if it means the final image will be better. Editing on a Mac and will go through Resolve most likely for the color.

Are most of you creating new ProRes masters with EditReady and treating them as your new masters to the end? Is there any loss in quality vs editing with Native files from A7sii.

I'm scared of transcoding all my footage only to find out that in the end I would have less macroblocking or something like that if I just edited natively.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: A7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 4:31:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 29, 2016 at 4:50:36 pm

You're on a Mac with iMovie Pro (aka FCPX) installed, so transcode a test clip to ProRes 422 and see how it looks to you.

Or if you're anal-retentive, go to ProRes HQ or ProRes 444. You won't get any additional image quality, but you'll rest easy knowing your clip takes up more file space.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian PetersenRe: A7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 5:58:02 pm

I tested out LT, 422, and HQ. Might be in my head but I thought I saw a difference between LT and 422, but I couldn't tell a difference between 422 and HQ. Seems 422 is the sweet spot.

In Premiere I did switch the playback Renderer to Mercury - OpenCL (from CUDA) and was suddenly able to playback native files quite smoothly. I was impressed. So I may just skip the transcode all together unless you foresee any issue later down the road? when it's time to color or anyhing?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: A7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:32:56 pm

Good news for you on the playback. So how about compression?

I'd say it depends on how much you're going to export or render. A low-bitrate acquisition codec will start to look really crummy after a couple of iterations. So if you plan export from one application to another a couple-three times or more make sure you do it in ProRes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 29, 2016 at 8:33:44 pm

Good call. I think my plan is to edit in native and then export a media managed master sequence in ProRes422 with handles on the clips (I'm assuming I can do something like that). Then those ProRes clips will be used for FX and color.

Return to posts index

Eric StrandRe: A7sii in Premiere - Transcode or Native?
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 4:40:25 pm

You might find this helpful http://www.provideocoalition.com/transcode-before-color-premiere

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:35:16 pm

[Eric Strand] "You might find this helpful http://www.provideocoalition.com/transcode-before-color-premiere"

YES! Very helpful, thank you!

The biggest part to me was the Dither aspect of transcoding in Resolve vs Premiere.

So now my plan in to edit in Native but NOT transcode my final clips via Premiere for color, but rather simply Project Manage in Premiere to create trimmed clips of my native files. Then bring those native files into Resolve for transcoding and color.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]