ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

New Premiere Pro June 2016 Update / Multicam Math Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo GianniNew Premiere Pro June 2016 Update / Multicam Math Question
by on Jun 26, 2016 at 3:21:57 pm

I have a really specific and strange math question for a multi-cam expert out there somewhere.

Most of my projects are 3 hours or longer in duration, 3 camera multi-cam, and Ultra HD 4k. Even with my monster Mac Pro trashcan - PP has really struggled with the simplest playback with no effects. I'm psyched for this new ingest feature so that I can easily use proxies. But I have a real problem I can't quite figure out.

I edit in a 1080 timeline and constantly use the extra space to crop in on shots in post. I'm really confused on how the percentages are going to work if I’m using smaller resolution proxies.

Here’s my normal workflow. Import 4k, drag to timeline, change sequence settings to 1920x1080. change the size of all clips in the timeline to 50% so they fit in the 1920x1080 frame. Then I nest all three camera tracks, enable multi-cam on the nested sequence, and edit there. So in that new nested 1080 timeline - the percentage is changed to 100% - and from there I can zoom in to 200% without losing any quality.

My question is - how do i ingest to use proxies in a way where i can still zoom in/crop like normal? I’ve done a test using one of the ingest presets and it doesn’t seem to work right. I’m completely lost.

Any help much appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New Premiere Pro June 2016 Update / Multicam Math Question
by on Jun 26, 2016 at 4:53:44 pm

You are thinking about proxies a bit incorrectly...

You are thinking that the only way to create a proxy is to make it smaller in terms of pixel dimensions. Of course that will screw-up your workflow. Instead, your proxies should be exactly the same pixel dimensions as your camera original, just choose a hi-performance codec, such as ProRes or DNX, and use the lower bitrate choices, such as ProRes proxy or LT. If you still have issues playing three streams of those codecs, you need a RAID that delivers more throughout than your current hard drive subsystem is delivering.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]