ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Pure white (or close to pure white) background

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin XienixPure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 4:05:07 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

So I got some stock footage of a diamond, the idea is to get a pure white background without damaging the white background too much. I'm told that all I need to achieve the white background are levels and curves. I just can't figure out how, the ring is over exposed if I get the white background every single time....
here's what the footage looks like btw https://www.dropbox.com/s/l97bk48wdshu2cb/7.png?dl=0
if anyone is willing to help me out that would be amazing,

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Pure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:16:15 pm

If it were me, I'd take the time to isolate the ring in Photoshop and cut it from the BG completely. It'll take some pen-and-curves work, because the highlights at the top of the band are very close to the levels of the BG. I'd place the rin in a seperate layer, so I could do whatever I needed to both the ring and the BG.

But the advantages of the effort will be multi-fold. You'll build some additional Photoshop skills, if that kind of work is new for you. You can have any BG you want for the ring, and you can handle the contrast and color of the ring completely separate from the BG.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Robin XienixRe: Pure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 7:04:56 pm

Thank you for the reply,
I forgot to mention that this screenshot is from a video. If it was just this picture then it wouldn't have been any problem to replace/adjust the background but since it's a video I'm not going to do that for every single frame. I'm looking for a good mix of quality and time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 9:43:36 pm

Got After Effects? Use Rotobrush to isolate it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robin XienixRe: Pure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 25, 2016 at 10:23:46 pm

isnĀ“t rotobrush a bit rough though? I've used it a few times and it was a real pain

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pure white (or close to pure white) background
by on Jun 27, 2016 at 2:13:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 27, 2016 at 4:14:35 pm

Well, you've got an object on a background. You want to remove the background. But the object doesn't lend itself to easy separation from the background. So you may have to use a variety of techniques in conjunction with one another to separate it convincingly.
Sorry, but you probably face more work and more time than you anticipated to do this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]