ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Moving from Mac to PC with Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam DillerMoving from Mac to PC with Premiere
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:49:13 pm

Hi everyone. As many others may be as well, I'm considering trying to migrate from years of being Mac based, to a customizable and upgradable PC. I'm sold on the hardware and cost benefits, but I'm vague as to just how bad the migration process will be?

Does anyone have thoughts on this process?

If I understand correctly, exFat will allow drives to be used on either system. The issue is obviously, I have lots of current and archived projects on Mac HFS+ drives. I can't imagine a time when all my projects are neatly wrapped up and I can just start fresh on a new system.

Is there a manageable workaround? Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Moving from Mac to PC with Premiere
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:14:41 pm

I've always used an inexpensive piece of software called MacDrive by Mediafour. It lets PC's read Mac-formatted disks with absolutely no problems. I swear by it.

Now, there is the caveat that PC file names can't have all characters in the ASCII character set as Macs can. It could be problematic.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam DillerRe: Moving from Mac to PC with Premiere
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:37:06 pm

Thanks. I have read about programs like that, I was just a bit worried that there might be some issue or other once I brought premiere into the mix.

I think I'm safe on the file name front, I'm pretty careful with that.

Anyone else have other considerations?

This really doesn't belong in this forum, I guess, but I also regularly use resolve, protools, avid media composer, after effects. I'm guessing a solution like the one above will work with whatever software I am using?

Thanks for the thoughts

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Moving from Mac to PC with Premiere
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 10:44:08 pm

Yup -- MacDrive launches when you start your machine, and just runs in the background... unless, of course, you want to do something like format a drive in Mac formatting... on your Windows box. Pretty cool.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]