ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Working with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre BrandtWorking with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:39:26 am

Hello all,

Last year for a project, we shot a Canon C300, 1920 x 1080 25p 50Mb/s codec 8bit MPEG-2 Long GOP.
We had no issues in Premier Pro CC, the computer (Mid 2015 Mac Boo Pro) and the HDD (Lacie d2 Thunderbolt) all handled a project over 25 hours of footage all right, it was nice to see.

This year, I'm considering shooting, for a very similar project, on a Sony FS5, and using XAVC Long 1920x1080 25p 50Mb/s mode. and editing on location with Premier Pro CC with the same computer and also Lacie d2 Thunderbolt or a Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt.

Can I expect my set up to handle the XAVC Long fine or would it be a synonym of trouble ?

Thank you !
Alexandre

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland
https://vimeo.com/channels/800406

Return to posts index

Jim CunninghamRe: Working with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:50:15 pm

Alexandre

I've been using the Sony x70 now for about a year. That camera records in XAVC-L. I've had no issue editing this codec in cc2015. However, I've occasionally had some "unknown failures" when exporting h.264 via Media Encoder. I've found that cleaning the Cashe in both PP & ME seems to be the fix.

Good Luck

iMac 27, OS10.10.5, 32GB RAM, 4GBVRAM, Drobro RAID 5
MBP 2015, Lacie 4TB Rugged RAID (RAID 0)

Jim

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Working with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:36:25 pm

Jim, XAVC-L and XAVCi are completely different file types. I also own an X-70, and those files are easy peazy, but XAVCi has been problematic. Adobe was supposed to have gotten around to optimizing CC 2015 for XAVCi, but there have been many conflicting reports about the actual playback performance, with some users continuing to recommend transcoding to a mezzanine codec, such as ProRes, before editing.

I hope someone with recent experience with XAVCi will chime in to provide an update here.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 4:13:10 pm

David,

As I recall the FS5 uses XAVC-L. The FS7 is using the XAVC i ? I haven't had a chance to play w/ the "i" yet, but will be wary.
In the meantime, have you upgraded the X70 to the 4K, if so have you experienced any issues?

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2016 at 4:51:28 pm

No Jim, I've not made the upgrade... The upgrade is to a 60Mb/sec version of 4K, which I understand is just not up to par, even though it looks good to the naked eye. It's kind of like HDV was when HD first arrived on the scene, with limited color depth for grading, etc. 100Mb/sec is what most agree should be the minimum for 4K acquisition. I was not aware of the 4K when I acquired the camera, and I have to admit that I've been a bit disappointed, but it does a very nice job of handling HD imagery when using the XAVC- L codec, which is easy to payback as well.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2016 at 11:12:28 am

David,
I agree that the 60Mbs is too low for the 4k, however, I did install that codec because the 100Mbs upgrade (coming in July-- maybe) requires the 60Mbs be installed before the 100Mbs could be added (there is a charge for the 60Mbs, but the 100Mbs is supposed to be a free upgrade). When it comes in, I'll let you know how is works out:-)

Cheers,
Jim

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2016 at 1:04:38 pm

I'd heard Sony was contemplating a 100Mb/sec update, but had not heard if or win it was actually being released. Thanks for the info...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Alexandre BrandtRe: Working with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro
by on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:02:24 pm

Hello fellows,

Thank you for your replies. If I understand correctly, the XAVC-L is fine for PP editing and I shouldn't have any issues.

Thank you for the infos !
Alexandre

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland
https://vimeo.com/channels/800406

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Sunderland GreenRe: Working with Sony's XAVC Long in Premier Pro
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 9:12:39 am

Which version of Adobe Premiere Pro do you use, and the new version 8.2.0 of Adobe Premiere Pro CC natively supports to decode XAVC Long GOP HD 4:2:2 10 bits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]