ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Empty frames between subtitles

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stamos DimitroEmpty frames between subtitles
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 12:43:03 pm

Hello everybody,

I am currently subtitling the first feature film I edited and the director as well as the producer insist that even if people speak continuously and two subtitles come one after the other, there should be a gap of even a few frames between the two captions. To me this seems like a weird jump, but I cannot find any guidelines regarding this. I tried to import Hollywood movies in Premiere in order to find out from the pros, but it's hard to find a Hollywood movie with printed subtitles to do that (premiere doesn't import srt). In your experience is my director and my producer correct or not?

PS. And how do I convince them if not.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Empty frames between subtitles
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 6:55:34 pm

There are no real standards for subtitles. It is mostly a matter of personal style weighed against what is readable to the viewer. Looking at movies, TV shows, and on-line content from around the world will demonstrate quite a range of subtitle styles and methods. Sometimes when two people are talking in a continuous steam the subtitles are back to back, no gaps. Sometimes one person is on one line and the other is on the line of text below them or the titles are offset to one side and the other. Occasionally, two different colors are used to indicate who is speaking.

The best thing to do is to complete a scene with subtitles the way you like (or do few variations) and have several people watch it with the sound off to see if the are able to read and distinguish each character's dialogue comfortably.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Empty frames between subtitles
by on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:11:41 pm

I don't think it's a big deal. A gap between subtitles certainly doesn't bother me as long as there is a gap between the actors' lines. If one actor speaks over another, it would be a judgement call.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]