ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce MooseFor those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 1:59:47 am

I was looking at the lumetri color updates that were just released in Premiere Pro and I'm not seeing much of a difference compared to resolve. Premiere even lets me track footage and masks as well as does After Effects. I can even use a color checker chart and use the three way color corrector and select the Blacks and Whites of the color checker chart. Is there something I'm totally missing that would be useful if I were to use Resolve? I'm very impressed by the new change and select color feature in Premiere Pro.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 2:46:01 am

Resolve is a 1,000x better color correction tool, IF you need that power. Most color correction can be handled just fine with the Lumetri controls. However, if your correction needs several layers of correction, then it's easier to do it in nodes in Resolve than in layers of Lumetri.

In addition, Lumetri requires that you go through the operations in a prescribed order - for example, 3-way after curves. There is no such limitation in Resolve, if you want a different order. But, for most standard corporate and TV projects, Premiere's Lumetri controls are just fine.

OTOH, Resolve is starting to become a very useful NLE, so from that standpoint, you could potentially do everything in Resolve, as well. Then you have a world class color corrector tied into an NLE that is similar and close to Premiere Pro. For now though, I would still give Premiere the edge as an editor.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 6:27:24 am

I save money paying for creative cloud. I mostly color correct for wedding videos, documentaries and YouTube skits. But can I actually use resolve if I have my footage as pro res?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:26:08 am

"But can I actually use resolve if I have my footage as pro res?"

yes,

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 10:50:20 am

Absolutely! And for free.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:03:05 pm

Weird. When I exported my movie as pro res and imported it in resolve the colors were off.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Christian SchumacherRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 5:42:07 pm

[Bryce Moose] " Weird. When I exported my movie as pro res and imported it in resolve the colors were off."

In Resolve. Go to Project Settings > Color Management and turn off the checkbox next to "Use Mac Display Color Profile for Viewers"

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2016 at 6:10:35 pm

okay great. Is it possible that resolve will eventually not be free? I'm a little skeptical that a program can be free for ever.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Christian SchumacherRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:34:28 pm

[Bryce Moose] "okay great. Is it possible that resolve will eventually not be free? I'm a little skeptical that a program can be free for ever."

Note that Davinci Resolve - the full version - is sold with output greater than UHD , 3D and noise reduction for a 1,000 USD. And consider that its owner - Black Magic Design - is after hardware sales, for example, this full version is included with hardware they sell - like cameras. But the the thing is, the free one has a lot of capabilities, and it does work as a marketing tool for the company. As to any change to this policy, I doubt they will charge someday for it, since Fusion, a new application they recently acquired, is following the same strategy.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2016 at 8:38:53 pm

okay, I was looking at tutorials of Resolve this afternoon and I am wondering if I should export my entire project in premiere and import into Resolve or export individual clips? The tutorials on Lynda showed multiple clips broken up into thumbnails.

I really want to experiment with Resolve along with the tutorials but don't know how to apply this workflow to my own film if It's already been cut with transitions added etc. Am I correct that having transitions added will screw up the color correction in resolve?

Thanks,

Bryce

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2016 at 9:08:41 pm

[Bryce Moose] "It's already been cut with transitions added etc. Am I correct that having transitions added will screw up the color correction in resolve?"

There are two ways to send timelines to color correction

1- The crude way is to export sequence as a file - or sequential files
Then yes, all transitions takes need to be resent separately in order to reconstruct those edits

2- And then, "the" optimal way, which is to send a XML in the case of Premiere and open that in Resolve to restore your edit with transitions and repos and so on. There's exceptions but it translates very well. This is very good if you need to change something but I would try to lock picture as much as I could so you don't loose time experimenting with an actual project. Try setting up a reduced timeline with your media and type of effects and export a FCP XML and import that in Resolve as a test. Anyway, if you are close to finish your film in Premiere, maybe first do so and then finally color correct it in Davinci Resolve?

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 8:54:09 pm

and also if you want to output to a broadcast monitor you need to buy a black magic card the only one that can do this!

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2016 at 11:57:59 pm

So there is no way to display a a window within resolve onto a second display?

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:58:01 am

[Bryce Moose] "So there is no way to display a a window within resolve onto a second display?"

See, this is why nobody is rushing to Resolve to edit just yet. But the edit side has been improving in a rapid pace, so expect it to be on par with Premiere very soon. When I'm in a gig where there's no Black Magic video output, I choose to use SHIFT+F to toggle full screen mode on the computer display, and this may help you a bit with this specific problem. Cheers, Christian

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:37:05 am

Well I exported my sequence as xml final cut. Imported that info resolve and the transitions couldn't be applied. This sucks. Now I have to reapply them all over again.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: For those that use Resolve. Is the new Premiere update just as good???
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 8:51:22 pm

@Bryce: You can track in DaVinci as well. It actually has a very good 3D tracker now, which works pretty much spot on!

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN Studio
http://www.kinokitchen.co.il
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]