ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben BigelowTime Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 5:20:22 pm

I've looked around a bit on this issue but I'm still mystified. similar (or maybe the same) to this: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/792981

If I apply speed changes via the Time Remapping/Speed levels in the Timeline, and then make keframes for Motion adjustments like Scale (or any other effect keyframe for that matter, there is widely varied behavior as to how those keyframes interact with the time remapped clip.

This only happens on transforming time changes via the timeline pannel, not via right click, "Speed/Duration" adjustments where the adjustment is constant.

Sometimes no other keyframe adjustments work at all when speed ramps, or a motion transformation will not take place at the location of the keyframes in the Effects Panel. Other times it gets real buggy and seems like there's ghost keyframes.

It's a mess. I'm guessing its because of how Premiere orders its effects rendering, with time happening last? What I've recently done is made my speed changes first, then nested that composition, and made other adjustments to the new comp. But this is a terrible strategy for a workflow, as now I have to make speed changes on another version, which will destroy much of the other keyframes in the top level comp.

This would make time remapping useless in all instances where other effects need to be applied?

Is there a way I'm overlooking to make the keyframes stick to the layer timecode so they transform their temporal keyframes WITH the speed changes?

Why why why. Thanks thanks thanks.

(I'm on CC 2015.2)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 11:23:03 pm

Because, because, because.

Do your other keyframing chores first. Then nest the timeline in another one and do your time remapping. You need to work within the limitations of the software.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben BigelowRe: Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jun 23, 2016 at 2:06:43 pm

ok, ok, ok. :)

Reversing the workflow is a good idea, at least this way I can make changes. Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Aaron DupreyRe: Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 4:16:20 pm

I've got a 4K shot that I'm using in a 1080p sequence. There are a lot of moving parts and a fair bit of choreography. The timing and scaling aren't really things I can 'lock in' before moving to the other -- I need to tweak the timing in one section, and based on that, adjust the scale and position, and vice versa. Things downstream get nudged. It's a bit of a dance. I prefer not jump in and out of nested sequences. Seems like a good way to add confusion. Is there any other way to animate both time remapping and scale/position on the same timeline?

Return to posts index

Ben BigelowRe: Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:52:07 pm

i feel your pain, this is a serious limitation. I fear Dave's solution is all there is too.

Return to posts index

Aaron DupreyRe: Time Remapping conflict with Motion and other Effect Keyframes
by on Jul 6, 2016 at 2:40:37 pm

Ben --

Just wanted to share the process that's (sort of) working for me:

I'm doing the initial time remapping in Premiere, creating keyframes right on the clip. The clips I'm using are 4K proxies that I rendered out of DaVinci from R3D files. However, I actually need to utilize the R3D files' entire 6K for reframing within my master 1080 comp (DaVinci tops out at 4K output).

So I imported the original R3D files that I'm using into Premiere, and edited them onto the layer above my proxy file -- matching up the first frame, and then extending it out all the way to the end of the R3D file's duration (way past where my proxy file ends). Then I copied the time remapping info from the proxy file and pasted that attribute onto the R3D file. The clips (Proxy and R3D) now have matching durations and time remapping data.

At this point, I alt-drag that R3D file up a layer to make a copy, and send THAT (along with VO for reference) to After Effects via Dynamic Link.

Once in After Effects, that native 6K R3D file appears in a new 1080 comp, and Premiere's Time Remapping data shows up as Time Remap Keyframes. I can then open up Position and Scale properties, and animate them to taste, taking full advantage of the full 6K raster within the 1080 comp, while also being able to tweak the time remapping.

It's not perfect, but it's what I'm moving ahead with.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]